AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my Energy s10.3 and i cant wait to set it up with my Audioengine 5+ speakers. Its my first time settings up a 2.1 system. Below pictures of the back panels.

Energy s10.3 Subwoofer

Audioengine 5+ speakers

Which cables would i need?

In the energy picture, those four bottom connections(red and black)are those rca or wire ports?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac  /t/1415283/how-do-i-connect-my-subwoofer-correctly#post_22125196

what receiver are you using. you should have a sub-out that connects to the sub-in on the s10.3

I dont have a receiver. The Audioengine 5+ are powered speakers.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphaze  /t/1415283/how-do-i-connect-my-subwoofer-correctly#post_22125226

I dont have a receiver. The Audioengine 5+ are powered speakers.
oh sorry, i'm not familiar with audioengine. anyways those look like plastic caps covering RCA ports that you should be able to remove with your fingernail. i believe then that you would use the R+L outputs from the speakers connecting to the high level inputs on the subwoofer with a pair of Y-splitters.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac  /t/1415283/how-do-i-connect-my-subwoofer-correctly#post_22125377

oh sorry, i'm not familiar with audioengine. anyways those look like plastic caps covering RCA ports that you should be able to remove with your fingernail. i believe then that you would use the R+L outputs from the speakers connecting to the high level inputs on the subwoofer with a pair of Y-splitters.

Thank you. Can you post a picture of the cable i would need?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

You need a cable like this (only longer ) Connect the single end to the SUB IN of the subwoofer and the other end to the OUTPUT from the audio engine.

or a combination of a long SINGLE Subwoofer RCA cable Like this

with this

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy  /t/1415283/how-do-i-connect-my-subwoofer-correctly#post_22125496

You need a cable like this (only longer ) Connect the single end to the SUB IN of the subwoofer and the other end to the OUTPUT from the audio engine.

or a combination of a long SINGLE Subwoofer RCA cable Like this

with this

Ok thanks! I found a cable. Will i get better sound quality if they are gold plated?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy  /t/1415283/how-do-i-connect-my-subwoofer-correctly#post_22125512

The four RED and Black are Speaker Wire level inputs,

So they are not caps covering the rca ports?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
IMHO ...Cables do make a difference, but the difference they make is "SYSTEM" oriented, the more "revealing" (High end) the system, the more it can display those differences...

Stay away from very y cheap cables, not for quality standppint, but for reliability..
Quote:
Originally Posted by djphaze  /t/1415283/how-do-i-connect-my-subwoofer-correctly#post_22125522

Ok thanks! I found a cable. Will i get better sound quality if they are gold plated?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphaze  /t/1415283/how-do-i-connect-my-subwoofer-correctly#post_22125528

So they are not caps covering the rca ports?

nope.. it speaker level inputs, hence the separate + and - , RCA has + and - in one plug

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy  /t/1415283/how-do-i-connect-my-subwoofer-correctly#post_22125539

IMHO ...Cables do make a difference, but the difference they make is "SYSTEM" oriented, the more "revealing" (High end) the system, the more it can display those differences...

Stay away from very y cheap cables, not for quality standppint, but for reliability..

These are the cables i have. Are these cheap/low quality cables?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Hard to say... .. plus I dont think that cable would work for the sub, its a Headphone to RCA cables used to connect Portable players to the Audioengine Speakers

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy  /t/1415283/how-do-i-connect-my-subwoofer-correctly#post_22125571

Hard to say... .. plus I dont think that cable would work for the sub, its a Headphone to RCA cables used to connect Portable players to the Audioengine Speakers

Hmm. Im going to try and see if it works. If it doesnt ill make a trip to radio shack. Hopefully i can find some there

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy  /t/1415283/how-do-i-connect-my-subwoofer-correctly#post_22125571

Its not working. I think your right cuz its a 3.5mm. Im off to get the right cable for it

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphaze  /t/1415283/how-do-i-connect-my-subwoofer-correctly#post_22125522

I went to radio shack and couldnt find a rca y cable without the 3.5mm headjack. I think i may have to go with the second option you listed

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went to target and radio shack and i couldnt find anything. I found this cable at Best Buy.

This should work fine right?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
They would work. As long as the cables dont do much connecting and disconnecting, these cheaper cables tend to break when constanly being moved or transferred.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy  /t/1415283/how-do-i-connect-my-subwoofer-correctly#post_22125932

They would work. As long as the cables dont do much connecting and disconnecting, these cheaper cables tend to break when constanly being moved or transferred.

I really dont want to go with cheap cables tho. Arent there better cables like this?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes, but those will work fine.....unless you are gonna constantly be pulling the cables in and out of the RCA cable in and out of the

sub or speakers. I've bought a lot of RCA splitter cabled like the ones you've pictured and none of them has ever broke.

And no, they don't have to be gold plated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts