AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to delete antenna channels from my list? Every time I get a hiccup in the system, all hidden channels suddenly become shown again. I'm looking to minimize the number of channels I go back and hide, since I don't use ant channels and only use Directv and digital OTA channels. Rescanning with antenna disconnected didn't seem to help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Worst case, you could reset the whole receiver (but I do not know how) and then only use the 'manual add' function for the channels you want. (That is, do not do a channel scan at all.)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW6ATV
Worst case, you could reset the whole receiver (but I do not know how) and then only use the 'manual add' function for the channels you want. (That is, do not do a channel scan at all.)
Ah...........that's the question. How does one reset the whole receiver. I used to have cable channels in the 520. By rescanning channels without a cable signal available, it essentially erased all the cable channels. I thought this would work if I disconnected the antenna. No dice. It may have something to do with D* mapping OTA channels. It mapped OTA-DT channels I will never get because they are just too far away. I'm not able to remove these as well. It really becomes a pain in the butt to hide all these useless channels only to have them rear their ugly head when the system goes wacky!

Any other suggestions? Map without the access card in place? :eek:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had another question on the same issue.

When the Sat-520 does the channel scan, it pulls in a bunch of channels I cannot receive.

What is the receives scanning if there is no signal? The channel guide even displays the programming on channels I cannot recieve.

Where is the receiver getting this information?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Those over-the-air channel listings are being received from DirecTV itself, based on the zip code you entered in the setup. It does the actual scan for signals, and it adds the ones it did not already have in its listings.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally posted by KornerKlub
Just scan the OTA again without the antenna connected.
I did that, but it didn't work. I think the problem is D*'s addition to antenna and OTA-DT channels, regardless of whether you can receive them or not. The problem actually go worse, as now there were TWO antenna channels for each station! Here's what I did, which helped remove one of them.

Went into initial setup and chose "No Dish". Then disconnected the antenna cable and ran an EZ scan. This removed everything from the lists, including Surf. Then I wen back and put in the dish I have (triple), kept the antenna disconnected and ran the initial "Creating channel list" scan, actually saying NO to the do you want to add analog and digital antenna stations to the guide. All the analog and digital stations re-appeared. This confirms that D* is sending the station ID to the list according to the zip code you put into the initial setup (as ChrisW6ATV stated).

So it doesn't look like there is a way to actually DELETE these channels from the listing. Or IS there? Perhaps a call to Zenith?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Since the zip code is not needed for any other purpose, try putting in a 'fake' one, or maybe 00000 or 99999 to see what happens.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW6ATV
Since the zip code is not needed for any other purpose, try putting in a 'fake' one, or maybe 00000 or 99999 to see what happens.
Funny you should say that. I was thinking the same thing (enter 00000 to see what happens). I don't thing that will help though. As you said in a previous post, D* adds channels based on where you are, and doesn't need your zip code. The zip code seems like it's only used to add channels to the GUIDE. When I answer NO to adding analog and digital channels to the guide, the channels still appear, but not in the guide.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.