AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a "new" projector and screen with no documentation. The projector was easy to identify, but the screen hasn't been. It's a fixed screen in an aluminum black frame. It is approximately 5'8" wide and probably 4'6" tall. The material seems to be some sort of plastic and has a very slight grey tint to it. The only other piece of information that I have is that about 10 years ago when it was bought brand new, it cost around $2000. Anyone have any ideas on what this screen is? And will it work for the CRT pj that I have (ECP 3103)? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,249 Posts
Hook it up to your PC, right-click, Properties.

BWAH HA! HA! :)

If it's light-gray it's probably high gain and originally intended for digital projectors, but sure it'll work. The real test is to project onto it and decide if it looks good. Then shine onto just an existing plain white wall and see which looks better. Then mix up one of the DIY paints and see if that looks better....

Welcome to the world of always wondering whether another screen could look even better.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Get a nice white piece of paper and attached it somewhere to the top or side of the screen with tape (don't tape the screen surface itself). Then project on it. if the screen is darker than the white piece of paper, it's probably a early Stewart gray screen of .8 gain. It it's brighter than the piece of paper, then it's some other higher gain screen and probably will work nicely. Another way is to put the screen up on a white wall and project half the picture on the screen and the other on the wall--and see what you think looks better. Without some gain, I doubt if you will like it with the CRT, especially if it's gain is less than 1.0

Bob

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marcorsyscom
Good tip. I didn't even think of the possibility of a negative gain screen (

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the links to the pictures. I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to go quite that big, but I'll definitely look into something larger. And I'll try that paper test as well once I get familiar with my projector and get it up and running :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.