AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Pioneer Elite Juro pro-141fd monitor, purchased new a few years ago. I very much want to disconnect cable (Time Warner just north of NYC).

I didn't think it would be this difficult to get straight information, Pioneer tech had no useful information.

If I want to receive over the air HD for local ie CBS, NBC etc that delivers a high quality picture I need an outboard tuner plus antenna it seems. In my area it looks like both UHF and VHF is broadcast and the recommended antenna is a medium directional with preamp according to antenna web.

Much of the available information that I have come across via web can be confusing or via phone conversations with support can be conflicting.

Are there quality tuner/converter boxes for my application? Are there any integrated units to convert and add functionality like a Roku box or Boxee? I have a ps3 for what its worth.

I hope someone can help, starting to get into information overload and deep confusion.

It should be much easier to cut cords with cable. My desire to do so is based on the frustrations with ridiculously high costs and viewing tendencies. I pay around $170 a month for one box with HBO and internet. I only recently looked closely at the bill and there are so many hidden and extra charges such as $7 for a cable box plus $12 for dvr service. This seems insane to me (although I have been paying this for years), to pay a large premium for cable services and then have to rent equipment from the same providers for $20 more per month plus plus.

I would rather pay per view as much as possible via all available services.

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

-Jason

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
You have a very high-end monitor, one of the best Pioneer made. If you still like your Pioneer, then yes, you would need an external tuner plus antenna.

Otherwise you can buy another HDTV that has an external tuner already in it, and an antenna.

Can you post your TVfool results so we can see how reception is in your area?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodds  /t/1420843/how-do-i-do-this#post_22232438

Are any boxes such as Roku (multi media hubs) that act as tuners as well?

TiVo Premier XL will tune both OTA and Cable, provide you DVR functions for your OTA channels, and does NetFlix, HuluPlus, AmazonInstantVideo, and YouTube over your network.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question:

If I cancel cable will the coax cable that is no longer plugged into a box be able to provide OTA signal or is it dead?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
When you did your tvfool report, did you state antenna height? It seems that even though you are 11 miles away from the Empire state Bldg, you have some obstructions in your path, perhaps hills, indicated by 2edge reception on your tvfool report. What happens say if you plug in 10 ft or 20ft?

It does not appear you need a huge antenna, but putting one outdoors would be better than putting one indoors or in the attic.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Depends, some cable companies may still transmit clear Qam channels( local networks) even though you cancel your subscription.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier  /t/1420843/how-do-i-do-this#post_22233198

When you did your tvfool report, did you state antenna height? It seems that even though you are 11 miles away from the Empire state Bldg, you have some obstructions in your path, perhaps hills, indicated by 2edge reception on your tvfool report. What happens say if you plug in 10 ft or 20ft?

It does not appear you need a huge antenna, but putting one outdoors would be better than putting one indoors or in the attic.

I didn't mention antenna height. Must be trees that are the obstruction as I am in Englewood which is a few miles North of the GWB.

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier  /t/1420843/how-do-i-do-this#post_22233210

Depends, some cable companies may still transmit clear Qam channels( local networks) even though you cancel your subscription.

Using Time Warner now before the big cancel.

If they do transmit local network after cancel would that negate the need for antenna/tuner/either/or?

·
Banned
2,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodds  /t/1420843/how-do-i-do-this#post_22233236

If they do transmit local network after cancel would that negate the need for antenna/tuner/either/or?

I doubt you will get anything but a "demo" channel or some local community content.. . . no local channels.

Plus. . . most cable providers do not pass the local and network broadcast channels straight through. They will not be high quality HD. Often they are compressed . I had DirecTV for 7 years and Dish for 5 and Charter cable for about a year and when I quit my satellite/cable service I was AMAZED at the increase in picture quality from an Over The Air antenna.

Provided you have good signal strength and can minimize multi path signals you should great picture! Regarding multipath. . . you may want to try just the antenna with no amplifier since an antenna booster can sometimes increase multipath interference. Depends on the cable length from your antenna to TV as to whether an amp may be needed as well as signal strength in your area.

As for outboard tuners Zenith had a few good ones and even BB Insignia is a good low cost unit. There are also some very good early model outboard tuners by RCA and Zenith that look more like cable boxes and have outputs and features galore. I have and RCS ATSC11 and ATSC12 tuner and they have multiple outputs that allow me to record HD programs (in SD) on two DVRs I have as well as a legacy Sony S-VHS unit. Even the S-VHS recordings on the Sony is actually as good as what I used to see on my local channels from cable or DirecTV . . . if not better.

There are also some pricey newer high end ATSC tuners if you search the net or look on Amazon.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodds  /t/1420843/how-do-i-do-this#post_22233236

You would still need a tuner, but not an antenna.

What i meant to say in my previous post is that TWC does not carry OTA signals, only the clear QAM and encrypted channels.

TWC could disconnect you altogether so just keep that in mind.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
One more thought. . . once your antenna is up, you may want to turn it for best reception on ALL channels. This may not be the position where you get maximum signal. . . but a position where you get minimum multipath interference and still get all channels.

In the mean time, before you buy an antenna, if you get a tuner try just a rabbit ears and see what you get.

·
Registered
458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodds  /t/1420843/how-do-i-do-this/0_100#post_22233159

Question:

If I cancel cable will the coax cable that is no longer plugged into a box be able to provide OTA signal or is it dead?

If you route the output of an antenna into the other end of the cable downstairs, then yes. If the wiring's already there, I say use it. It helps keep things neat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts