AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I be worried about running a decent 35' or 50' HDMI cable between my AVR (in an equipment closet I'm building) and the TV? It's a 65" Panasonic plasma, and I've heard reports of problems even with 35' HDMI runs where at 1080p there are shimmering pixels and other weird artifacts.

I'm thinking I probably need an HDMI extender device to amplify signal since I'm going over the 25' one is supposed to stay within for HDMI. I know that devices for HDMI over CAT5e/CAT6 exist but I worry about those. I know that wireless HDMI extenders also exist and I REALLY worry about those.

Any tips? thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts
I just installed a 45' hdmi cable from bluejeans cable. It's buried in the ceiling, that

gets repaired tomorrow. Unfortunately, I won't be able to see if it works or not

for another week or so. (it better!)

I also have a 65' vizionware powered HDMI cable, that I want be able to test until

the end of this month (long story), and a 65' hdmi over dual cat 5 run. The cat5 solution

had lip-sync issues with a gefen balun, sparklies with an HDMI matrix switcher, and

some audio dropout with hdmi 1.3a baluns. Since lip-sync is only with satellite HD,

and is less annoying than blu ray audio drops, I'll probably go back to gefen.

If you're not in a hurry, I can report back in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I suggest just using an HDMI cable. For such a distance you want larger gauge HDMI high quality wire (probably 22AWG). Both Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable are good sources for cable. You may not need a booster/extender but, if you have problems with the signal, you can always add one later at the TV end of the cable. It partly depends how how good the HDMI receiver circuit is in you TV.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow /forum/post/14238915

I suggest just using an HDMI cable. For such a distance you want larger gauge HDMI high quality wire (probably 22AWG). Both Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable are good sources for cable. You may not need a booster/extender but, if you have problems with the signal, you can always add one later at the TV end of the cable. It partly depends how how good the HDMI receiver circuit is in you TV.

I see. I ended up buying a 50' Belkin PureA/V HDMI cable which was $199 wholesale price (MSRP $449) and TV is a Panasonic TH 65PF10UK (pro/industrial class monitor) so hopefully the circuitry's decent since these monitors were made for fixed mount application high on walls and far away from the signal source.

I also bought a SIIG HDMI extender just for testing purposes.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory /forum/post/14239641

I see. I ended up buying a 50' Belkin PureA/V HDMI cable which was $199 wholesale price (MSRP $449)

BlueJeans has one for $134.50. ( http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...bles/index.htm ) I have no affiliation with them other than having purchased from them in the past and will be purchasing from them in the future!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts