AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dual LNB dish on my roof, a RCA DTC-100 and a DirecTV subscription. When the installer put the dish in he was unable to get a signal from the 119 satellite. He said that it was due to a tree on the West side of my house blocking the signal. So, I have lived with getting only the SD part of the DTV service, since I was never all that interested in the few HD movies that DTV did.

Now that DTV has HDnet (I am a sports nut), I am motivated to find out why I cannot recieve a signal from the 119 satellite. So, my first step is to find azimuth and elevation for the 119 bird from my location. Does anyone know a web site that can give me that information with sufficient accuracy to allow for dish pointing?

I have used the following link:

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/dtv6.shtml

to get an approximate idea (I live in a northern suburb of Atlanta, GA, called Alpharetta).

Thanks,

Bernd

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wendell,

Thank you so much. That is an incredibly detailed response and a great method for figuring out whether or not there is an obstruction. Now all I have to do is convince my wife that I am not going to die when I climb on our roof (it is pretty steep and high).

Cheers,

Bernd

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wendell,

Where did you get that information? I'm trying the same thing from CT, my zip is 06489. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
660 Posts
Make sure you check to see if the information calls for you to correct for true north or not. This would mean your azimuth would be off a certain number of degrees in one way. Usually you can just swing the dish to find the sweet spot, but it can be a little touchy. Good luck.

EAS

·
Registered
708 Posts
Can I get Direct TV's signal with my dish pointed at 119 with azimuth and elevation for Dish Network? Or is there a big difference?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Single LNB dish for any satellite: Tom Hyatt's Satellite Look Angle Calculator . A magnetic deviation map for north america is also avalable there.

Elliptical dish for 101/110/119 (DSA-8900E or equivelent): RCA web site . Note: The elliptical dish setting are exclusive to that dish, and point the dish at 110, not 119!

Help with line of sight: Use sun or moon to choose the best place for your satellite antenna

The usual method is to use a compass and sextant/quadrant/clinometer to check for obstructions.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Soycrema:
Can I get Direct TV's signal with my dish pointed at 119 with azimuth and elevation for Dish Network? Or is there a big difference?

Yes, if the dish is equiped with standard single or dual output LNBs - not the Twin or Quad (unpredictable operation with DirecTV receivers).

There is no difference in alignment for DirecTV 119 and Dish Network 119.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernd:
So, my first step is to find azimuth and elevation for the 119 bird from my location. Does anyone know a web site that can give me that information with sufficient accuracy to allow for dish pointing?
Bernd, Use the sun to see if you have a clear shot at the 119 satellite. At the times listed, see if there is any obstructions between your dish and the satellite. Stand close to your dish and see if you have a clear view of the sun, conversely there should be no shadows close to your dish.

Alpharetta, GA (city)

Population (1990): 13002

Zip Code(s): 30076 30201 30202

Longitude of Satellite in degrees:119

Your longitude in degrees:84.3

Your latitude in degrees:34.0

Time Zone: Eastern

Azimuth of Satellite: 231.1°

Elevation of Satellite: 35.9°

Saturday, September 15, 2001

Sun is 10.7° above sat position at 3:41pm EDT.

Saturday, September 22, 2001

Sun is 7.2° above sat position at 3:48pm EDT.

Saturday, September 29, 2001

Sun is 3.6° above sat position at 3:54pm EDT.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

[This message has been edited by Wendell R. Breland (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marka29:
Ay information would be appreciated.
marka29, See my message above for use. Location information from U.S. Census, satellite information from SunDSS by Frank E. Reed (a Compu$erve member from several years ago)

Zip Code: 06489 PO Name: Southington (CT)

Population (1990): 28567

Longitude of Satellite in degrees:119

Your longitude in degrees:72.9

Your latitude in degrees:41.6

Time Zone (E for Eastern, C for Central, etc.):E

Azimuth of Satellite: 237.4°

Elevation of Satellite: 23.2°

Sun is 11.6° above sat position at 3:41pm EDT.

Sun is 11.6° above sat position at 3:41pm EDT.

Saturday, September 29, 2001

Sun is 4.6° above sat position at 3:54pm EDT.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.