AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using the antenna in vertical polarization but after falling several times all of the plastic hinges have come down and all of the elements are in virtual free fall or clogged up with other elements.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
With better mounting/support. ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am short of funds and this antenna works well with channel 6 for fringe applications. Also for my rtl-sdr I preferred a log periodic but it cost half a grand.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Search around for old/used vu-190's to scavenge for parts.
Search for parts.
Have parts fabricated.

All those options may require time and funds.

Have a "rabbitears.com" report? Some of the gurus here may be able to provide suggestions/alternatives based on your location and desires.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much gain do I lose if all of the phasing lines touch or even if a single line should touch?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Epoxy glue the plastic. JB Weld is good stuff for this. Though if you've broken a lot of them, it could get pricey. As for the phasing lines, you can NOT let them touch, at all.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I was using the antenna in vertical polarization but after falling several times all of the plastic hinges have come down and all of the elements are in virtual free fall or clogged up with other elements.
Radio Shack VU-190_1.jpg

Radio Shack VU-190 Crossover Wires2.jpg

Radio Shack VU Series Details2.jpg

If you have to make new insulators, 1/4" thick, or more, black Delrin sheet would be ideal, but it is expensive. Maybe 1/4" thick, or more, clear Lexan sheet would be OK.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I am short of funds and this antenna works well with channel 6 for fringe applications. Also for my rtl-sdr I preferred a log periodic but it cost half a grand.
vertical polarization and channel 6 for fringe reception dont add up. Are you using this for FM, or TV channel 6 (what call letters in what city) or what exactly?

I am restoring a channel master quantum myself. Going to have to replace the plastic with PVC or plexiglass insulators.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems if I can't restore it to where the elements can stay perfectly horizontal then I will consider using this antenna on a pole with vertical polarization for rtl-sdr.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Not knowing for sure where yours is damaged this may not be an option.....but I didn’t use the back half of the VHF section when I reinstalled mine. I kept the fron. VHF section and the UHF section.I get very good to good reception and fair to good on 13 and 5 from about 50 miles out only about 10 foot up. All higher channels are great and nothing in my market is below 5.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not knowing for sure where yours is damaged this may not be an option.....but I didn’t use the back half of the VHF section when I reinstalled mine. I kept the fron. VHF section and the UHF section.I get very good to good reception and fair to good on 13 and 5 from about 50 miles out only about 10 foot up. All higher channels are great and nothing in my market is below 5.
What frequencies are those stations on? Are you receiving line-of-sight or 2-edge reception?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
They are 13 and 5 actual channels if I understand your question. Line of sight if you mean what direction I am aiming. I pick up 8, 19, and 22 on the backside from Jonesboro about 25 miles out as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are 13 and 5 actual channels if I understand your question. Line of sight if you mean what direction I am aiming. I pick up 8, 19, and 22 on the backside from Jonesboro about 25 miles out as well.
Frequencies refer to the 6mhz bandwidth channel used for example channel 2 uses 54-60 mhz. Line of sight is a case where the receiving antenna is pointed to the transmitting tower typically with no major obstructions like land obstructions. The other methods are typically 1-edge and 2-edge where the signal diffracts one or twice from a structure before it reaches your area.

You could also tell me what RF channels these are on. If they are all UHF then you don't need the back elements probably.
It sounds like you lost low vhf elements of the antenna which is not a problem if you do not receive such. If you get channels from 2-edge or 1-edge the diffractions over the edges of hills ( most 2-edge and 1-edge is this) this can make the signals quite weak. If the phasing lines of your broken antenna should touch the boom than that could kill most of your gain. but if your signals are stronger than like -65 dbm than you may not need that gain.

You probably could just get away with putting an unamplified dollar store antenna where your current antenna is and receive those channels if they are estimated to be strong to fair and you have little multipath

·
Registered
600 Posts
You could get a hold of some Polyetherimide (PEI, Ultem) plastic to fashion new mountings for the elements. It's relatively strong and is inherently UV resistant. It cuts and machines easily with no need for special tools. The only con is that it is fairly expensive.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You could get a hold of some Polyetherimide (PEI, Ultem) plastic to fashion new mountings for the elements. It's relatively strong and is inherently UV resistant. It cuts and machines easily with no need for special tools. The only con is that it is fairly expensive.
looks like my antenna will keep pointing to the sky for radio astronomy based on the fix that I used

·
Registered
600 Posts
looks like my antenna will keep pointing to the sky for radio astronomy based on the fix that I used
You could check with a local B&M plastics supplier. They might have cut-offs or a scrap bin where you could pickup small pieces by the pound. Couldn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wish some of those Radioshack and Antennacraft antennas were still manufactured. They were actually pretty decent antennas.
Yeah I still have some of the Super G1483’s and a P7. I haven’t had the P7 up since the digital era but it was great back in the day. The Super G’s in my experience were right up there with the DB8e and the 91xg if not better. The thing I found with each of my antenna projects was while there was an great improvement in some frequencies there was a disappointment in others compared to the last or next antenna. I will say the DAT BOSS LR has been most consistent for me so far but want to try it through the summer. I actually have a CM-4251 in the barn I’ll try one day!

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Yeah I still have some of the Super G1483’s and a P7. I haven’t had the P7 up since the digital era but it was great back in the day. The Super G’s in my experience were right up there with the DB8e and the 91xg if not better. The thing I found with each of my antenna projects was while there was an great improvement in some frequencies there was a disappointment in others compared to the last or next antenna. I will say the DAT BOSS LR has been most consistent for me so far but want to try it through the summer. I actually have a CM-4251 in the barn I’ll try one day!
I have an Antennacraft MXU59 lying around in the garage but it is too long to fit in the attic. It is a good UHF yagi and I also have the smaller version I may use again sometime. But that CM-4251 is probably the best long range fringe antenna, although it may be a bit problematic to install due to size and weight. But it would be a great project if you were so inclined, and combine with a good preamp such as Kitztech, Channel Master or Televes. Would be interesting to see what you could pull in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts