AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the HDD in my PS3 with a 320gb HDD back in January. I kept the 40gb and put it in a StarTech 2.5" USB/SATA hard drive enclosure. I attempted to use it for the first time recently, but neither my Macbook or my PS3 recognizes it when I plug in the USB. The light on the enclosure comes on as if it is working, but I'm thinking it must not be formatted correctly or something and I can't store any files on it.

Other than replacing the HDD in my PS3, I'm pretty much a virgin at these types of things. What do I need to do to the 40gb HDD to allow me to copy files onto it?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mitty /forum/post/17013391

I replaced the HDD in my PS3 with a 320gb HDD back in January. I kept the 40gb and put it in a StarTech 2.5" USB/SATA hard drive enclosure. I attempted to use it for the first time recently, but neither my Macbook or my PS3 recognizes it when I plug in the USB. The light on the enclosure comes on as if it is working, but I'm thinking it must not be formatted correctly or something and I can't store any files on it.

Other than replacing the HDD in my PS3, I'm pretty much a virgin at these types of things. What do I need to do to the 40gb HDD to allow me to copy files onto it?

If you want to hook it up to your PS3 externally via USB it needs to be formatted FAT32. Your Macbook & Windows PC/Laptops should be able to read it as well. The formatting of the internal drive on the PS3 is believed to be proprietary and cannot be read from any other system at this point in time.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So should I be able to format the HDD by hooking it up to my Macbook or PS3 via the USB? I don't believe power is the issue because it lights up and makes sound like it is working when I plug it in, but I could be wrong.

Do I need that SwissKnife program to format it? Also, I only want to be able to back up some of the files on my PS3, not the Mac.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The 40GB PS3 HDD demands too much current to run from a compliant USB port.

The drive needs 700mA. A compliant port will deliver 500mA. Now, if your USB controller is able to put out over the USB specification's 500mA, it would most likely work.

Vista and Win7 will format FAT32 out of the box.

Make a shortcut to "cmd", and run it as an administrator. type FORMAT X: /FS:FAT32 where X is the drive letter.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
It should run fine on a single USB, if not then hopefully your enclosure came with a splitter cord to allow you to use two ports for extra juice. Right click on the computer icon on your desktop, and go to "manage", then "disk management", it should show up as a unformatted partition. Do a quick format on it to NTFS, you can then use swisknife to format to FAT32 if that's what you want.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was wondering why it has 2 usb plugs! My Mac has the usb ports on opposite sides of the laptop, which makes it impossible to have both plugged in at the same time...

Can I format it with the PS3? I can use both usb's there.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mitty /forum/post/17016254

I was wondering why it has 2 usb plugs! My Mac has the usb ports on opposite sides of the laptop, which makes it impossible to have both plugged in at the same time...

Negatory. Take it over to the neighbors and use their PC. Alternatively, you could acquire a USB cable extension.

·
Registered
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mitty /forum/post/17016254

You can't buy a longer USB cable? They're dirt cheap.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch /forum/post/17017118

You can't buy a longer USB cable? They're dirt cheap.

Good point. I'll try that. I may even have one laying around the house somewhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.