AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen people discuss this. How do go about getting this credit. I will be installing everything next Thursday. Do I call them today and threaten to go to digital cable because the HDTV decoder is so expensive or do I wait until I install it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

SCR

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I activated my HD200 I asked about getting the Sat C kit for my oval dish so I could get SHO HD. The CSR I was speaking with was clueless, he kept trying to send me a whole new dish. Finally he figured it out, but then could not figure out how to apply the $8.00 s/h charge to my D* bill. So then I was transferred to the Customer Retention Department.

This new CSR was amazing. It was like night and day. After she had taken care of my Sat "C" order, she asked if there was anything else she could help with. I said that a friend had just activated an identical unit and D* gave him a $150 credit on his D* bill. I politely inquired if I might also qualify for such an incentive. The CSR I spoke with said that she knew of no such incentive, but that since I was such a good customer she would credit my account $100. Never hurts to ask, I guess...some have reported credits of up to $350. I was happy enough to defray the cost of the HD200 by $100.

I checked my D* account online a hour or so later and was pleased to see it reflected a $100 credit.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
531 Posts
yes i called and told them i was interested in buying a hd receiver and the cost was very high and i was thinking about going with cable because they rent there receiver for 5 a month and was there anything they could offer to get me to stay with dtv. the guy gave me 150 credit and hbo for $2 a month for 6 months. saved me $210 so just say your thinking about going to cable and they will give you something. it will vary on the time you have been a customer of dtv, ive been with they since the start so if i had push them a little more i could maybe have got a better deal. im happy it offsets my hd200 price. i look at it this way i got it for 720-210=510 not bad.

·
Registered
75 Posts
gashog.. what menu on the phone did you use?? If I go to sales, they don't say anything, and if I go to activation they said there is no such rebate.. thanks

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
You need to ask the regular cust service rep for the customer retention dept. The best I could get was $10 off HBO for 6 months - no credits.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ask for the customer retention department. Explain that you want to get HDTV and you've realized STBs are realllly expensive (especially compared to a $5/mo cable box rental). The D* representative told me that they had no specific program for HD credits as they currently don't see HD STBs. I said I undertstood but asked for a $250 credit to offset the $700-800 STB purchased. MY CSR approved a $150 credit before I purchased my STB to be applied during activation. I have read that other forum members have received $100-250 credits on their D* bill.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I purchased the Zenith 520 STB for $599, included shipping so I jumped on it right away as there were only 10 units left. I then called Directv and asked for Customer Retention dept. The lady there was very good, much better than the ordinary reps.

I told her I'm all set up with equipment but now I need an oval dish that can bring in the HD sats. I said I was committed to Directv (actually I have no other option out here in the woods where I live), had been with them from day one and now want to expand my viewing options. She said there were no promotions going on for HD but could help me get the right 3LNB dish for free. I told her to send it right away and I would install it myself, as I have done other dish installations myself. She said she would do me one better and have a technician come out with the dish and do the whole set-up (cost to me in total was $16). Actually, I think with the cost of the dish and doing the job right, I would rather have this deal than the $150 credit.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just did it. Was very easy. Just told them that I was planning on canceling due to the high price of the decoder compared to cable but I would rather stay w/DTV. They sent me to customer retention and he said that he can give $150 credit. I said that would help a lot but could you help on the programming. He said that I can give $10 off/month for HBO or Showtime packages for 6 months. I said SOLD! I already have my HD200 but not activating it until Thursday when my TV comes. You guys are great!!! I saved an unbelievable amount of money because of this forum. Merry Christmas!!!

SCR

·
Registered
120 Posts
I called CR and got my 150 credit!!!! thanks guys!!! and they are sending out a installer to fix a cable and put a new multi-switch and 1 new LNB....

wow it was easy.....

thanks!!!

ATR

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not yet a DirecTV customer, can I qualify for this credit if I sign up now? Which number should I call? I called the toll free number and the rep was totally clueless about this and she couldn't even figure out which phone number is for the 'retention department'.

Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey the DTV repair guy came out to check on my dish problem... I think it was a bad lnb.... well he put up a brand new dish. The one with the built in LNB. ITs NICE!!!!!

ATR

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, I have only been a reader on this forum so far, but I decided to sign up so I could post.

I just called DirecTV, and they offered a HD dish and 100 bucks credit if I buy a new receiver. I tried to push a little bit for more money, but they wouldn't budge.

Anyone try this lately and get more than 100 bucks??

·
Registered
166 Posts
When you order the dish (I've seen where people have ordered them from DTV for around $50) do they require a credit card, or do they just bill you the amount to your account? I'd rather not give them my cc if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just tried calling for the credit. Talked to someone in the customer retention department but all he mentioned was that they could give programming credits. He suggested I find out which model I wanted to get and then try calling back. I guess I will have to try again and see if another CSR can help me out. Anyone able to get the credit lately?

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by elldav7
I just called DirecTV, and they offered a HD dish and 100 bucks credit if I buy a new receiver.
If you've priced an oval dish in stores lately, you know you got a very good deal :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone know what dish DirecTV is sending out when they say they will send one? Is it the new 18x20 3 lnb oval dish? Or is it the old 18x24??

·
Registered
506 Posts
Which dish (18x20 vs. 18x24):

If it is being installed, you'll get whatever dish on the contractors truck (18x20 vs. 18x24). I've read that a forum member(s) refused installation upon the contractors arrival to have a specific dish (they brought it on 2nd trip).

If you're self-installing, you can see if D* will let you specify the dish. Some prefer the older dish if an external multiswitch is being used. Newer dish is reported cheaper for D* but requires cascading multiswitches for expansion (due to integrated multiswitch).

1 - 20 of 148 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.