AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have been experimenting with Gordiannot and DIVX 5. I muxed the ac3 file back into the divx file and do not hear anything in Zoomplayer or PowerDVD. I can hear the ac3 file by itself in PowerDVD though.

I am not very clear of setting up the filters in Zoomplayer and have been trying to search the forum for some help but this forums flaky search engine is not working for me today. Believe me, I try to exhaust my search capabilities here before I ask so I apologize about this because I know it has already been covered.

Also, I would like to know if when demuxing all audio files from the vob you can extract the DTS audio and remux the unaltered DTS track back into the newly created divx 5 file. If so, will Zoom player handle that. I have not yet had time to try but I'd figure I'd ask anyway. ;)

thank you! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is the only way I have ever got it to work, although I'm sure there are other, better ways...

Note: this method may only work with WinDVD. I have never tried this with PowerDVD.

1. Download and install PowerDivx (its free)

2. Run it once and go into the audio options, and select the method you want to hear ac3 audio (s/pdif, 2 speakers, etc.).

3. Play an ac-3 file in PowerDivx to make sure its working.

4. Close PowerDivx.

Now try to run an ac-3 divx file in Zoom Player, it should work now :)

It's safe to remove PowerDivx after you get it working in Zoom Player.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

I did go over to the ZoomPlayer forum and found out i need to get filters from Doom9. Once i got my filters I did eventually get sound but the audio stutter is unbearable.

Maybe some can tell me how to eliminate this outrageous audio stutter?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
how did you mux the ac3 stream back into the avi file?

To eliminate stutter for my system, I had to change the preload/interleave values to (128 / 128)...under "audio->interleaving"....

Give that a shot and see how that works....

Oh, and you might also want to enable waveout instead of directsound (check the zoomplayer faq for how to do this)...I had to do this to get any sound whatsoever from AC3 divx in zp, and some have reported that this solves stuttering issues....

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
how did you mux the ac3 stream back into the avi file?
GordianKnot muxed it while creating the divx 5 avi file.

Quote:
To eliminate stutter for my system, I had to change the preload/interleave values to (128 / 128)...under "audio->interleaving"....
Where is this setting in what program?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Sorry, I use a/the hacked version of virtualdub for muxing AC3 into divx files...this also works for Nandub...I dont use GKnot for Divx creation...I use the "old fashioned" method....

give the direct wave out option a try...

Rich

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Go to Player Options, Manual Filters. Select Default WaveOut instead of Default DirectSound.

Then go to External, and select SPDIF output.

That did it for me. As for the stutter, you need to mess around with interleaving values. Read up on Doom9.

·
Registered
687 Posts
These settings work for me:

For 192Kbps audio tracks: 80ms preload/80ms interleave

For 384Kbps audio tracks: 160ms preload/160ms interleave

For 448Kpbs audio tracks: 128ms preload/128ms interleave

Maybe there's one setting that will work for everything, but someone gave those to me a while back and I've been using them ever since with good results.

Using nandub, I often include both the main audio track and the director's commentary as the secondary stream.

--

Steve

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kanefsky

These settings work for me:

For 192Kbps audio tracks: 80ms preload/80ms interleave

For 384Kbps audio tracks: 160ms preload/160ms interleave

For 448Kpbs audio tracks: 128ms preload/128ms interleave

Maybe there's one setting that will work for everything, but someone gave those to me a while back and I've been using them ever since with good results.

I use 96/96 for any bitrate and it works fine.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I've been using 128/128 for everything, and it works great for me....

I don't get sound issues when I use other values, but I get jerky panning when I use 160/160 or 96/96...go figure :p

I'd bet that zambaretzu's solution will probably fix your stuttering...that's probably the cause of 80% of ppl's stuttering issues with AC3 divx...

Rich

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before I tried any of the above mentioned I figured I'd try to keep it simple so I unregistered all my existing audio filters first. The main culprit was my CinemasterAudio.DLL file. I use TheaterTek 1.5 as my primary DVD software and for some reason Zoomplayer will not work with the TheaterTek audio filter. Once I unregistered it the audio plays fine now.

I have not watched anything long enough to know whether I have sync issues or not but right now that doesn't concern me.

Using what seems to be the highest quality I can squeeze out of DIVX 5, I am not satisfied with the results. The image is lacking detail and there are artifacts scattered throughout the image. Granted, on my 20" Diamond Scan monitor the files look pretty darn good but on my 65" Widescreen in the theater room they are less than satisfactory.

I have been skimming some of the other threads regarding encoding video and am very curious as to which encoder will give me at least equal to what DVD offers. I'd like to start filing my movies and compressing down the 60 or so DVD's I have on HD to some kind of MPEG4 stream.

For the life of me I cannot get Media Encoder 9 to work. It constantly crashes and produces an jittery image. For my purposes I thought this would be my solution but since it doesn't work I have to rule it out. I have only tried it on VOB files. If there is some way of converting a VOB to another format that will not change the quality of the material and allow Media Encoder 9 to work I'd like to know.

Any suggestions on what I can do to improve the image over DIVX 5 would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Personally, when I want the highest quality possible from Divx (irregardless of file size) is use the following settings:

Divx 5.0.2 Pro - 1-pass quality based, quantizer 2 (100%), bi-directional encoding, performance/quality - Slowest.

Then I mux the AC3 - that's it. Not 100% dvd quality, but pretty darn close. Looks quite good on my 42" panny plasma...I output the divx in the panels native resolution (or as close as I get get) of 856x488.

I haven't tried ME9, so I don't have any advise there....

Also, if you're seeing noise, there are some noise reduction filters you can try (using the nandub/virtualdub methods of encoding) that can help with some/much of those problems...

Cheers,

Rich

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.