AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sounds great for movies and I understand that movie soundtracks have lfe, but when I play radio, ipod, cd's there is not much bass. What can I do to improve bass for music?

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I'm just guessing here, because you havent given us a lot to go on. Probably, there is some modal interaction or boundary intereference going on. The sub is ding what it's supposed to (most likely), but the room is taking away in the more important ranges for music - somewhere in the 50-70hz range - while leaving the lower effects stuff strong. It's like in real estate: location, location, location. Have you tried your sub in other places around the room?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred  /t/1520824/how-do-i-get-my-sub-to-sound-better-with-music#post_24434652

I'm just guessing here, because you havent given us a lot to go on. Probably, there is some modal interaction or boundary intereference going on. The sub is ding what it's supposed to (most likely), but the room is taking away in the more important ranges for music - somewhere in the 50-70hz range - while leaving the lower effects stuff strong. It's like in real estate: location, location, location. Have you tried your sub in other places around the room?

I don't have really any room to move it around.

So is location the most critical part to getting most out of sub?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I wouldn't say it's the "most" important part, but placement does play a critical part based on room acoustics. And every room is different. It's not only the room, but what's in the room, where everything is, and this also includes your listening position.

Here is a good starting point for speaker placement.
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html?utm_campaign=ce-ht&utm_medium=multi&utm_source=multi&utm_content=ce-ht-sym-speakersetup

Hope this helps!

Scott

·
Registered
11,379 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Get it up off the floor a bit. You did not say what type of sub or music.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder  /t/1520824/how-do-i-get-my-sub-to-sound-better-with-music#post_24434547

It sounds great for movies and I understand that movie soundtracks have lfe, but when I play radio, ipod, cd's there is not much bass. What can I do to improve bass for music?

In order to know which advice to give you it would help to know what equipment you have.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for chiming in with help. The room is my open to kitchen, dinning room and stairs to upper level.

What should the Subwoofer Phase be set at? Currently it's at 0.

Equipment

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva amp

SVS PB12 Plus

Rocket 850's & Big foot center & Rocket sides, Polk back surrounds

·
Registered
5,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder  /t/1520824/how-do-i-get-my-sub-to-sound-better-with-music#post_24443266

Thanks guys for chiming in with help. The room is my open to kitchen, dinning room and stairs to upper level.

What should the Subwoofer Phase be set at? Currently it's at 0.

Equipment

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva amp

SVS PB12 Plus

Rocket 850's & Big foot center & Rocket sides, Polk back surrounds
O is good.

But, the movies specifically have a LFE channel and so decoded to go to your sub. When you play other sources, it is stereo mode most likely and even when you have DPL the bass management may not send lows to your sub. Some/many modern receivers needs another setting to send the lows to the sub.

One such setting is called double bass in Onkyo receivers. Others have other names.

This will solve your music issues. That setting would most likely work well for movies too.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ  /t/1520824/how-do-i-get-my-sub-to-sound-better-with-music#post_24444935

O is good.

But, the movies specifically have a LFE channel and so decoded to go to your sub. When you play other sources, it is stereo mode most likely and even when you have DPL the bass management may not send lows to your sub. Some/many modern receivers needs another setting to send the lows to the sub.

One such setting is called double bass in Onkyo receivers. Others have other names.

This will solve your music issues. That setting would most likely work well for movies too.

Do you know what that setting is called?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ  /t/1520824/how-do-i-get-my-sub-to-sound-better-with-music#post_24444935

O is good.

Are you saying part of the solution is sending bass to both speakers & sub for music is how to improve it? I assume that is what you are saying Onkyo does.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2  /t/1520824/how-do-i-get-my-sub-to-sound-better-with-music#post_24447035

Are your front speakers set as small or large?
small

·
Registered
5,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder  /t/1520824/how-do-i-get-my-sub-to-sound-better-with-music#post_24446513

Are you saying part of the solution is sending bass to both speakers & sub for music is how to improve it? I assume that is what you are saying Onkyo does.
That is what I am saying but if your mains are already set to small, not sure how your receiver is handling bass management when either you are using Dolby prologic of one form or another or just simple stereo straight processing.

One reason to read the manual carefully.

I am also presuming you have properly level matched your channels?

Also, remember that bass in music is not as punchy as in movies with a few exceptions where 48" drums are used.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ  /t/1520824/how-do-i-get-my-sub-to-sound-better-with-music#post_24447412

That is what I am saying but if your mains are already set to small, not sure how your receiver is handling bass management when either you are using Dolby prologic of one form or another or just simple stereo straight processing.

One reason to read the manual carefully.

I am also presuming you have properly level matched your channels?

Also, remember that bass in music is not as punchy as in movies with a few exceptions where 48" drums are used.

I used spl meter on speakers. I realize that bass is not the same as movies, I thought that it could be improved since I might have something incorrect in setting etc.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder  /t/1520824/how-do-i-get-my-sub-to-sound-better-with-music#post_24448153

I used spl meter on speakers. I realize that bass is not the same as movies, I thought that it could be improved since I might have something incorrect in setting etc.

Just review the manual at page 46 as stated above and go over all conditions especially in stereo and dpl modes.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ  /t/1520824/how-do-i-get-my-sub-to-sound-better-with-music#post_24449362

Just review the manual at page 46 as stated above and go over all conditions especially in stereo and dpl modes.

I need to do that again and see where I might have a wrong setting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts