AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my LT150 hooked up with a break-out cable from my Sony 700 progressive dvd player. When I try to watch something in 4:3 like an IMAX dvd I either can choose normal which projects above and below my 16:9 screen or I can squish the image with the cinema mode. I would just like to watch these in native mode but that option is disabled when in RGB source mode.

Also does the lt150 offer any type of blanking?

Thanks.

I'm at work and don't have the manual with me so I thought I would just pick your brains.

Greg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Greg,

You need to have the DVD player set to 4:3. Then set the projector to cinema mode. I believe this will set a 4:3 image within your screen.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Without the use of an external processor or HTPC, the only way I know to provide blanking for component feeds is to adjust the image size via the service menu.

Mark Fontana posted the routine a couple of weeks a go. I have it at home if you want to wait.

It will be a little bit of a pain but, you'll need to lower your horizontal pixel count and then re-center the image. Then do the opposite to get it back for 16:9 movies. This option is normally grayed out

Good luck,

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I believe that there are posts out there which state that it is possible to turn the Native mode via RGB back on but it requires some sort of hack through the serial port. I believe the more common option (for people not wanting to deal with an HTPC) is to use the Panasonic DVD-RP91 DVD player (about $420 online) which will do the image resizing for you. A new DVD player (the Toshiba 3750 - less than $200) might also do this, but I'm not 100% sure. For me, I bought an RP56 and am planning on moving the projector back and forth (since it won't be ceiling mounted) but part of me is thinking of taking it back to Sears and just going for the RP91 (or see below). FWIW, one issue with the Toshiba 3750 that I've read about is that with some discs the subtitles will turn on by themselves (a problem my older Sony DVD player has).

Finally, as others have said, you can also do this via an external processor. I believe the DVDO iScan Plus V2 will do this as well (can be had on ebay for under $400, I believe). The advantage of this option is that you could use it to line-double non-DVD programming as well (DirecTV, cable, etc.). For DVDs though, word is that a good progressive player will outperform it, though I wonder just how noticeable it would be.

If I had the money to burn, I'd love to get all of these things to do some head-to-head comparisons. I'm still mulling over my options since I plan on going with a 16:9 screen as well.

Scott

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I will probably look into an external processor in the future. I was thinking about doing a sliding mount on the ceiling so I may just go with that till the processor happens.

I just got the lt150 last week and I am thrilled with it. I had a Zenith Pro880 CRT projector for the past 3 years and it is a great machine, especially since it has an anamorphic setting. I thought I was a CRT guy but I took a chance and got the lt150 sight unseen, and I am now converted. My father has a Runco DTV-852 loves my lt150. He says he will going DLP for his new home.

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I've heard people talk about a sliding mount but haven't heard the details. I could be wrong, but I would imagine that this will require additional adjustment with the screen itself as the closer the projector is to the screen, the higher the image will be positioned. With a roll-down screen this should be easily attainable. Just order some extra black drop for the top so that you can pull the screen down farther when you use it in 16:9 mode. Anyone else care to jump in here?

Scott

·
Registered
197 Posts
Greg,

Glad to hear you like the Lt150. I was going to have a big demo here in Austin but we've put the last few home theater pieces on hold until my shaky job situation improves. Its currently sitting at 95% complete.....

The one thing I miss on my old Pro881X CRT was the blanking mode, which really helped on DVDs. I've cut a small cardboard filter that slides into the lens cutout and eliminates all the light leakage, but I still have that 4" halo around the picture.

Anyways, the cardboard filter is "tombstone" shaped and has a small rectangle cut out for the light to filter. I'll try to get a picture of it. I plan on doing a similar one but cut out for 16x9.

But otherwise, as a former CRT snob myself, I'm thrilled with the LT150.

-Dave

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I think the best option for you is to change to HTPC as it will 1) give you a better progressive image over your Sony, 2) allows resizing using YxY or Zoomplayer as your front end DVD player, 3) will exceed any external scaler out there (which is nice for NTSC source into analog capture card via Svideo and deinterlace via Dscaler (free software)). Another cool feature with Zoomplayer via HTPC is it allows for "cinema mode" in RGB mode by squishing the 4:3 image to fit 16:9 screen which is normally only available via component, Svideo, or composite inputs. If you do get anamorphic lens later you'd need HTPC or external scaler to stretch 16:9 image into 4:3 and then the lens will squish it back to 16:9. Check HTPC forum for more details and ideas. There are detailed FAQ over there about building your own HTPC. Unless you're an experienced PC user, I recommend just buying one from AVS as it'll cost you the same as an external scaler.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave, I am really pleased with the lt150. Your info really helped me decide to make the jump. Of course I did pay $2500 for it from Gateway, which is a little more than what they going for but there is no restocking fee at Gateway so I had that to fall back on. Sorry to hear about the job situation, I know how you feel I work in the Aircraft Charter business and cost just went through the roof thanks to our caring insurance companies who are milking the current events to the hilt. Maybe after the new year all us Austin theater junkies can have a big pow-wow.

Huey I do have a basic HTPC and you just gave me a great idea. When I want to watch 4:3 I'll just run it through the pc and set it to 800x600. The htpc gradually coming along but it is so finicky that I have only just been playing with hooking it up a couple of times, since I don't have it hooked up to Pre/Pro and no wires run to pj, so I have to pull it up to the table I keep the pj on to connect them. Maybe I will get after it, after I get the projector mounted.

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.