AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the process of hooking up a converter box for my parents and an unfortunately, they’re experiencing the same issue I used to have at my apartment. They’re experiencing airplane flutter, which is….. picture dropouts whenever low-flying airplanes fly over our building. The only workaround for me was to hook my TV up to the roof antenna. In my parents’ apartment, they don’t have access to the roof antenna, so they have to settle for an indoor antenna. And sadly…. every indoor antenna I’ve tried for them have dropout problems when the airplanes fly over our building.

So my question is…. How do I go about fixing this issue? Is there something I can do with my current antenna that will prevent it from being sensitive to the airplanes? Or is there any good indoor antenna out there that is good at filtering out the interferences from the airplanes?

Please note….. we’re very close to the towers, so getting a decent signal is not a problem. Any antenna we’ve tried gets a good signal. It’s just that the airplanes cause interferences.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT /forum/post/19533306

They're experiencing airplane flutter, So my question is. How do I go about fixing this issue?

To reduce airplane interference you need a directional antenna located such that the direct signal from the TV station is as strong as possible.

Usually that means an outdoor antenna, but a large outdoor antenna mounted indoors is likely to be better than what they have.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy /forum/post/19533368

To reduce airplane interference you need a directional antenna located such that the direct signal from the TV station is as strong as possible.

Usually that means an outdoor antenna, but a large outdoor antenna mounted indoors is likely to be better than what they have.

I've tried three different antennas....

RCA rabbit ears

RCA ANT-1500

Terk FDTV2

Aren't the last two antennas directional??

·
Registered
797 Posts
You will either need to select an antenna that has a narrower vertical beam-width (ie, a 4-bay) or attempt to fabricate a screen above the existing antenna that diminishes the signal reflected off the aircraft or select an antenna location that achieves this without killing the direct path.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech /forum/post/19533897

You will either need to select an antenna that has a narrower vertical beam-width (ie, a 4-bay) or attempt to fabricate a screen above the existing antenna that diminishes the signal reflected off the aircraft without killing the direct path.

And indoors, the signal path is not always direct.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy /forum/post/19533938

RCS ANT-1500 Multidirectional (ad speak for not unidirectional)

Terk FDTV2 Omnidirectional

Think along these lines:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1280&bih=783

Oh....I did not know that. I thought as long as the word "directional" was in there, then I'm good. My bad!

One antenna that's "directional" for sure is the Terk HDTVi. I know someone recommended that to me when I had this problem with my reception a few months back. But I never got around to buying it.

Tell me.....will the Terk HDTVi work? From looking at the specifications, it claims that it's highly directional and can filter out interference (which I hope includes airplanes). Does anyone know if that antenna will work in my situation?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy /forum/post/19534263

The Terk HDTVi is directional on UHF, but the same as rabbit ears on VHF. Do you have any VHF stations in your location?

Yes, but it's not as sensitive as the UHF channels. For some odd reason, my area works better with VHF. So, I'm looking for an antenna with decent VHF signal, but excellent UHF. So, as long as the Terk HDTVi will work well on UHF, then it may be the right antenna. I can only buy it, give it a shot, and pray that it works.

·
Registered
797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw /forum/post/19534069

And indoors, the signal path is not always direct.

Indeed! Makes it a lot tougher!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech /forum/post/19534308

Indeed! Makes it a lot tougher!

Tell me about it. My friend already thinks I'm an antenna addict because I must've bought like 4 antennas already. If I decide to try the Terk HDTVi, that will mark my 5th antenna. It's actually my 6th antenna if you count the Terk TV5 one I bought a few months ago that arrived broken at my house. Luckily, I got a refund for that.

Seriously..... how many indoor antennas does one have to buy before finding one that actually works right?

EDIT....oh wait. Actually, I bought 6 antennas. I bought a Winegard one from Amazon before but returned it because it had problems with the airplanes. So if I were to try the Terk HDTVi, it would be the 7th antenna I've bought. This is pretty ridiculous.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT /forum/post/19534372

Seriously..... how many indoor antennas does one have to buy before finding one that actually works right?

In some cases, none of the indoor antennas will work. Proximity to an airport is one factor that makes indoor antennas problematic.

Outdoor antennas will ALWAYS outperform an indoor antenna.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw /forum/post/19534505

If a yagi type (like the UHF part of the hdtvi) doesn't help, you're probably SOL at that indoor location.

So you're saying the HDTVi is the best UHF antenna for my particular situation??

So it should be my last antenna I'll buy then?? Meaning....it will work so no need to shop anymore. OR it doesn't work and if the HDTVi can't handle it, no other antenna can, so give up!

Am I right?

I just want to be sure before I buy this. I want to ensure that this will be my 7th and last antenna. I tired of hearing my friends call me an antenna freak, lol.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT /forum/post/19534372

I think I tried at least ten, but bought them where I could easily return them (the worst had to be any brand I tried from Wal-Mart - RCA, Philips, etc.). It's pretty normal for people to go through quite a few, before finding one that works best (though still sometimes not always perfectly).

I finally settled on the two that were considered the best at the time, because it turned out to be true for my situation, too - the Radio Shack RS-1880 and the Silver Sensor (similar to the HDTVi, but UHF-only).

I have spots where I can place them where I don't have much of a problem with multipath, though, so this probably doesn't help you much. But you asked.

·
Registered
22,646 Posts
FWIW...

Based on my experiences in 2002, I went through 5 indoor antennas. None worked satisfactorily (due to multipath and airport flight path). The only solution that worked for me was a Channel Master 4228 in the attic.

I would assume that this may not work in your situation, but there are no "bulletproof" indoor antenna solutions. Especially in an apartment. Multipath is a killer and you need to consider building construction, Line of Sight to the x-mitters, obstructions from surrounding building, distance, x-mitter power, etc.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/19534706

It's pretty normal for people to go through quite a few, before finding one that works best (though still sometimes not always perfectly).

Interesting!

Ok...... I'll give the Terk HDTVi a shot. Sounds like it'll do the job..I think. I'll have to wait a while before I buy it though. The only store that I know of that carries this particular antenna is J&R (which is close to where I work). The box is pretty big, so I'll have to find the right time to buy it on my way home from work and carry it on a crowded subway during rush hour. Or I can buy it online at Amazon. I can't do that either at the moment because I've been visiting my super way too often lately asking for packages. He's been question why I buy so much stuff. To be honest, I don't really buy a lot. It's just that I do most of my shopping online since it's more convenient and cheaper. But to avoid anymore questions from him, I have to break off from ordering online for now. So, I'll have to wait until I can lug this home from the store.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT /forum/post/19534558

So you're saying the HDTVi is the best UHF antenna for my particular situation??

It may be the best indoor UHF antenna to try for your situation. Either it, or a Silver Sensor. But the SS is UHF-only.

Quote:
So it should be my last antenna I'll buy then?? Meaning....it will work

If it doesn't work, it's possible there may not be an indoor-style antenna that will work. But nothing's guaranteed indoors.

Bottom line, airplane multipath, if really bad, is difficult to overcome. And like cellphones, there are some places where OTA TV just won't work.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts