AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried several times to fix this convergence problem but the only thing that works is lots of dreaded point convergence!

http://autographprod.8k.com/photo3.html

What's wrong and how do I fix it?

Thanks,

Wes

·
Registered
840 Posts
Wes, My beginner view of what you need to do....I am sure this is rather simplistic for the experts...but it worked for me. My 6pg is tight from corner to corner....and I don't have point convergence to fall back on.

First, I hate to say this, but you really need to start over. Zero everything out...I mean everything...each and every setting for each tube....and also the settings that apply to all three tubes...and see how much you are off to begin with. If you can put up a single cross hair and have it almost perfect...then you are ready to start messing around with the convergence settings. If not, you need to work on getting the mechanical setup right...for me...I simply aligned the red and blue to line up with the green and my cross-hair looked good.

If you have that single cross-hair looking good....here is what I would do:

Adjust the geometry so that your image is exactly the right shape for your screen. I would use keystone, linearity, linearity balance, position and amplitude first...also the "static" control if you need just a tiny adjustment here or there.....and then use OVERALL skew, bow, tilt, pincushion as secondary adjustments. You shouldn't need to use any of these very much. I would be very careful to not touch any setting for a specific tube very much...at this point the only tube-specific controls I would use are amplitude, linearity, linearity balance, and "static". Generally, I use the OVERALL controls to get the overall shape and geometry looking good.

At this point, you might still be off a little around the edges and corners....and you will have to adjust individual CRT's to correct these areas. You need to be familiar with each of the controls and adjust them sparingly to get the corners right....this takes some effort. For me it is also very important to leave the green tube alone....it is your reference point....don't mess with it (well just a little if you have to)!! Align the other tubes to the green one. I turn off blue...and do red...and then turn off red and do blue.

Final note: one thing that I didn't figure out on my 6pg was linearity balance...I didn't even know it existed! On my 6pg remote...you press ctl-linearity to access that setting. For me...this control helped my overall convergence more than anything.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Yep, start over. That is easy to correct with normal convergence. You don't need point.

You need to learn and understand what the convergence controls DO. It will be straight forward then. You can correct this by using the tilt and bow controls. Easy. (For me) :)

First tilt the red and blue to make the bend equal on the right and left outer edges, then use the bow and pincushion to level it.

But once you learn it, it's simple. Keep at it.

Marc

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tinman
First tilt the red and blue to make the bend equal on the right and left outer edges, then use the bow and pincushion to level it.

Marc
Hey Cool! That's how I ended up doing mine. It worked, but it's good to know that it is the right way too.

As a relative beginner I highly recommend patience. When I first set my PG up I got the center pretty decent and the rest was iffy. I watched a few movies and loved it. Yes, there were problems, but it's relative.

Then you gradually go back and improve -- pretty much each time I started over.

But to fix your specific problem, read Tinman's approach -- it's right and it works. "First tilt the red and blue to make the bend equal on the right and left outer edges" (getting symmetry in the convergence error is important because bow and pincushion will act equally on the left and right side of the screen) "then use the bow and pincushion to level it."

shoot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.