AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I hope I am not violating TOS for this forum but does anyone know how I can get the spacers to enable 100" diagonal image for my VPH1030Q1? The previous owner had it set up for 72" diagonal...

Thanks

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
Nandu ,

-- it is my understanding that the 100" setting on the 1030Q1 does not require spacers [ the 72" and over 100" do however ] . The 100" setting is the factory default for the 1030 & 1031 .

-- you should just have to change the lens adjustments to 100" and remove the spacers that might be there for the 72" setting .

-- Hope that helps ,

--- Jason Berg

*** WRONG INFO : SEE BELOW ***

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
two things must happen.

1 you have to set the ring spacer to 100 by removing the lenses and turning the ring under the lense till the 100 mark lines up to the referance marker for each lense, well the blue and red anyway but there is one for green that doesent seem to really change the angle of the lense but it doesent hurt to set it correctly. DONT MIX UP THE LENSE EITHER, there specfic to red and blue.

Secondly, you have to dissmount the entire lense block which isnt a bad idea any way to change the lense rings to the proper setting. Assuming you do that in the first place, before you put the block back in you have to loosen the red and blue tubes. There is a small triangle shim made out of solid aluminum at the top and bottom of the tube face right behind the face plate heat sink, you can see it before you even do anything. The problem is you need to change the 72" spacers to the 100" spacers. I dont know where you can get a set. I was lucky enough that my first 1031Q was set to 100" and I just put those spacers in my newer 1031Q that I retubed and sold the 72" spacers to TINMAN when he bough the 1031Q chasis I sold him.

The differance is that the 100" spaces are about 1/8th inch and the 72" spacers are almost 1/4" if I remember right. I have heard people using washers for the high side to create the proper tilt but you have to keep trying till the angle is correct and both red and blue must be the exact same.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Jason posted as I was typing.

I am bit puzzled? I had two 1031Q's and while both were apart while I was doing a retube there were deffinetly two differt size CRT spacers for the CRT's

One unit was set to 72" and the other was set to 100".

The 72" was my newer unit and the 100" was the one that died and I sold the parts to TINMAN. I kept the 100" spacers for obvious reasons and gave the 72's to TIN as he needed them for his "FRANKENSTINE" creation.

So, do we need to research this to see whats the deal or are we both saying the same thing but talking about lense rings Vs CRT

shims...........

More to come Im sure.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Folks: Thanks for the prompt response. Y'all are great!

According to the manual, the spacers are the doodads (real technical term!) that fit on the front of the tube. The lens rings are those white plastic things that the lenses mount onto. I finally figured out that the PJ is set for 100" diag viewing (thank god!). Now I have another problem and was wanting your help. I tried two methods of connecting my DVD player to the projector as follows:

(1) Composite input

(2) DVD to Line doubler (Iscan Pro) using S-video, and then from Iscan Pro to the SONY 1030Q1 using the vga 15pin/25pin Connector that was purchased from Jason.

The picture using method (1) was always bigger than that using method (2). Why is this?

Is there some setting on the Iscan that I am not doing correctly?

Also, I have opened up the projector and think I may have messed up the reference picture adjustment controls. Any idea how I restore this??? HELP HELP...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Jason:

I believe the three 0.8mm spacers are for 100" and not 72".

See page 17 of the user manual.

Koldby

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
well , after checking further I think Vic and Koldby are correct [ :( - sorry Nandu ] . I looked around and went through all my manuals and it does appear that the 100" setting requires spacers . This is very odd for me too as I don't recall seeing spacers the last time I had my CRT down and apart but my image is most certainly as it should be .

-- Thanks for the correction guys :) [ see what happened when I assumed - only I was the only a$$ ;) ] .

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
733 Posts
You have a PM.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Thank GOD!

I would have hated to have to go back inside my 1031Q. I was going to say something is odd because Im getting one hell of an image and I havent even had to touch things up in such a long time.

Like I said I do recall the differant size spacers when I was servicing both units or rather stripping one and rebuilding the other one :)

Jason , I just hope you didnt find another way to get an even better image out of these things :)

I could just see you posting something like " pull out your spacers, get a better image"

man after all the tweeking I did that would have sucked LOL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.