AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am looking for a new television, but this is not a question about that. I presently a high definition television which I will have to return to Wal-Mart since it does not do all I wanted to. But in the meantime I wish to use it to figure how to use it as monitor of my computer. It is just about 50 feet away from my computer which I think from the specs of the HDMI is the maximum distance allowed. So my question is what do I need to do to get this maximum distance and maybe even a little more? Presently I only have VGA output to my present computer monitora with no other output available on my computer for monitor output. I've seen a passive wire splitter and another passive wire adapter that will get me to a HDMI plug to output to a cable, but will splitting only monitor output passively cut down on the distance I can go with my cable. Another alternative would be a video card with both types of outputs. Do you think that would be necessary or perhaps an amplifier that will let me loop through my VGA output and give me a little cable distance as well. So what do you think? I am also wondering if it is all right to link to a retail I am not associated with to show equipment I am thinking of buying for purposes outlined in this question?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmiller /forum/post/20833197

50 feet...which I think from the specs of the HDMI is the maximum distance allowed.

There is no maximum in the specification. Maximum distance is a function of the cables, all the electronics involved, bit rate, and environment.
Quote:
I only have VGA output...

Then you cannot do HDMI. There is no such thing as a passive device that converts VGA to HDMI. You need something much more sophisticated to do it.

·
Registered
17,914 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll /forum/post/20833803

Anything over, you will need a HDMI Extender/Repeater

Not necessarily. It all depends on the factors I listed above. Folks have reported being able to do 1080p60 at 100'. And 1080p24 for BD is quite doable at lengths over 50'. And if you do need some help, an active HDMI cable, or an equalizer added to a good HDMI cable, is a better bet than a solution based on Cat 5/5e/6 cable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/20833274

Allmost all of today's HDTVs have a VGA (PC) input connection so why not stick with VGA?

OK - I reason is this the dimensions of a VGA plug is over inch wide while HDMI is maybe half as wide and I will have to go through wall with a hole I will drill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/20833319

Then you cannot do HDMI. There is no such thing as a passive device that converts VGA to HDMI. You need something much more sophisticated to do it.

Well I do not know the link I will now show you very much confirms or denies what you said in the quot I have quoted directly above. The link is from Google shop and here it is. Google shop On that Google shop link I have just given there is this note. "NOTE: Your Video card must support digital signal output through VGA port function. Please consult with your VGA card's user manual for more information." While I have not consulted the motherboard manual as of yet my computer has a motherboard integrated video card, but I can look to see if this integrated video device on it supports the digital output mentioned in the note I just noted. But I am wondering is it automatic monitor will accept that type of output as well. Well if you are totally right in that my computer will not support HDMI these for possible add-oms I am considering. At the micro Center the card that can be found at this url http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0355806 or alternatively at Amazon 2-Way SVGA VGA Splitter Amplifier Multiplier 400 MHz - Black . If you look at the rip his shirt available at Amazon it looks like is a VGA through input to output and I believe it has to HDMI outputs on the front to let the moment I am having trouble finding the specs but picture seem to show that it has HTMI output. Well what do you think?

·
Banned
2,481 Posts
Actually the solution I listed is what is used in church's outdoor venues, etc. It is the best solution for long runs. VGA is limited and like HDMI, it also has to use extenders/repeaters, but VGA is a analog signal is more susceptible to emi noise, than HDMI, which is digital.

·
Banned
2,481 Posts
Yes, if you split the vga signal, you degrade it. And with that, VGA is only good if you are projecting low resolution video from a camera (1024x768/60hz or 800x600/60hz) same with projecting on a screen static computer images such as from a power point. VGA does not take the place of HDMI or Component video for HD. As for that multiplier it is used as I stated above, if you want to take a image and split between two screens or projectors. The distance on that device is very short (no more than 50 feet, and even at that, the signal degrades and you can see it in the image).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I am thinking that video card I am looking at the one that can be seen at this link http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0355806 is looking pretty good as a way of getting both my VGA and a HDMI out and promo Micro Center makes it sound like it will render very good video as well. Micro Center has a walk-in store, in my Denver area, where I could get it and return it should I not be satisfied. Do you think that's a good purchase or would you get the HDMI outputs you need from another video card or adapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/20833906

Not necessarily. It all depends on the factors I listed above. Folks have reported being able to do 1080p60 at 100'. And 1080p24 for BD is quite doable at lengths over 50'. And if you do need some help, an active HDMI cable, or an equalizer added to a good HDMI cable, is a better bet than a solution based on Cat 5/5e/6 cable.

Well what Colm is saying directly above getting equalizer if I need it it sounding good. What gregzoll is saying sounds like it's for distances far in excess of what I will ever need. Colm said a bout of good quality cable leaves me with a question on what is a good quality cable? A shielded cable is very pricey so I am thinking of buying a non-shielded cable of the best quality I can, but what is that and do you disagree should I get a shielded cable? It sounds like I could do the add equalizer thing if I need to and not get a cable that pricey. So what are your cable recommendations?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll /forum/post/20835054

You should not have to add an equalizer if you are using a good shielded cable.

Nonsense. The need for equalization is a result of higher frequency components of the signal being attenuated more than lower frequency components.

FWIW all HDMI cables should have shields on the TMDS pairs and an additional one around all the wires.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmiller /forum/post/20835301

What do you all think of this 50 foot HDMI cable...

Who knows...26 AWG is small for a 50' cable.

A lot of folks here like monoprice 22 or 24 AWG cables for that length. If you want one of the best availalble, at a reasonable price, go with the Blue Jeans Cables Series 1.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmiller /forum/post/20834060

Well if you are totally right in that my computer will not support HDMI...

You said all you had was VGA output, not I. If your computer supports HDMI via the VGA connector, then the cable might have a use, but you should already have one if HDMI is supported.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Colm - can you provide me with a link to a cable you would recommend? I just made a run which string instead of cable to measure out how much I really need and it seems I really need 60 feet not 50 feet. Amazon has a reasonable price shielded cable at that length but I do not know the quality. The link to it is here. http://www.amazon.com/OSD-Audio-Prem...3634113&sr=1-2 . the one you mentioned is coming in at $195 which does not seem a reasonable price to me. So if you could give me a link to a good one that is cheaper than that perhaps I could buy it first try at without equalizer then with. Thank you for your help.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.