AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a receiver that has digital input of coaxial and optical, along with the usual yellow, red, and yellow outs and ins. Model No. HT-R8230 5.1

My computer has output that is the basic colors (gray, black, green,pink, blue, and orange) and an hdmi slot, on my graphics card theres vga, hdmi, and svideo.

Any other information I should give? I would prefer to have FuLL surround sound including my subwoofer.

Any help is appreciated. I would like to know what adapters and cords I need.

Code:
Code:
http://i27.tinypic.com/2jdjddh.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/21n49dv.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/2chsvua.jpg
Hope those help =\\

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You can get a high quality sound card that has optical and/or digital coaxial SPDIF out. I use HT Omega cards which have nice home theater options like dts and dolby digital live options along with virtual 7.1 output.

Depending on your video card, audio may be possibly sent through its hdmi, but if you don't have hdmi on your receiver thats a moot point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod1937 /forum/post/16956390

You can get a high quality sound card that has optical and/or digital coaxial SPDIF out. I use HT Omega cards which have nice home theater options like dts and dolby digital live options along with virtual 7.1 output.

Depending on your video card, audio may be possibly sent through its hdmi, but if you don't have hdmi on your receiver thats a moot point.

no hdmi on receiver =[

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstn2524 /forum/post/16956432

no hdmi on receiver =[

Yeah, then i'd just go with an SPDIF out sound card. If you're mainly going to use it for movies/home theater i'd recommend HT Omega cards. Though they work very well for games too.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you need quality audio with 5.1 (all the channels of your receiver including the sub), you need a moderately good sound card. Though, check with your onboard sound's documentation you may be able to get headphone to rca adapters if three of those outputs are really 5.1 (6) analog outputs, which can then be plugged into the dvd 6 channel analog inputs on the back of your receiver. But, being honest it will probably sound like crap.
The Omega Striker is only $89, i would recommend getting that now instead of buying any adapters, as you'll probably want to upgrade to that card or another at some point in the future. That is unless you have some spare headphone and rca cables laying around, in which case you can easily splice some adapters together yourself, and for free.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ok, here's the deal. Your two options are analog and digital.

Analog: your receiver has multi-channel direct input(labeled 'DVD'), so you could just run three cables from PC to receiver. Those cables would have a stereo 3.5mm plug on one end and 2 RCA plugs on the other. This will give you full surround in all applications that provide surround sound.

Drawbacks of this approach:

1. If you already use that input on your receiver, that's a problem.

2. If receiver is a fair distance from PC, long analog cable can pick up a lot of interference.

3. Some would say that on-mobo sound of your PC has bad analog output, but frankly, if your audio needs are satisfied by that Onkyo, you'll find nothing wrong with what your PC's built-in sound can give you.

Digital: The orange jack on your PC should be able to work in digital output mode, you just need THIS ADAPTER and THIS CABLE (Cable length depends on distance from PC to receiver). Going this route will have your PC pass better quality unconverted digital sound to the receiver, and cable will be free of interference.

Problems going this way:

S/PDIF digital connection can either carry 2-channel stereo sound, or multichannel sound encoded in DD5.1 or DTS format. This means that normally, you will only get stereo sound, not 5.1 via digital. If you play a DVD with DD5.1 track, you'll get 5.1 sound. There is also something called Dolby Digital Live. Your surround sound (i.e. from games) is encoded in real-time to DD5.1 format and sent to the receiver over S/PDIF. Receiver decodes it and you get full surround. Too bad you PC built-in sound does not support it.

Some sound cards do this in hardware, which gives better results. Many Auzentech and last-gen Creative cards do this. Creative also released DDL pack for its older cards which does this encoding in software - can't tell how much of a drain that is on the CPU, though. I am not sure if there is an existing software solution for Realtek HD Audio, though (this is what your PC got).

You could look into getting an older X-Fi card - just make sure it is not an XtremeAudio.(they suck) There is an 'SB0770' XtremeGamer floating around at around $40, it is an OEM card taken from a Dell, HP, etc, you'll need to do some digging to assure it'll work with the DDL pack - but I think it will.

I would advise staying away from Omegas if you are a gamer - these cards don't do X-Fi, meaning they at best support EAX 2.0. If you do get a card, you want one with EAXHD 5.0 support, which means X-Fi.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx a bunch to jarrod and scorrpio. If I soon decide to buy a new sound card I'll go with your advice but the two links provided by scorrpio was exactly what I wanted
. Idk how to repay you two other than a big THANKS.

You two made me realize the greatness of this forum.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
musicstreamer and musicstreamer+ are fairly priced (99.00 and 299.00) and are sold by musicdirect.com...just a usb cable from your pc or laptop to the musicstreamer, then rca from musicstreamer to your avr or pre-pro...

that simple...you're in business

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey,

I am running into the same problem. My receiver does accept HDMI. I also have an Audigy 2 sound card, which is pretty decent.

Should I just upgrade my video card to use HDMI? Anyone have any suggestions for what I should get if I do make an upgrade in the video card department?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangothehuman /forum/post/18753245

Hey,

I am running into the same problem. My receiver does accept HDMI. I also have an Audigy 2 sound card, which is pretty decent.

Should I just upgrade my video card to use HDMI? Anyone have any suggestions for what I should get if I do make an upgrade in the video card department?

Thanks all!

A lot has changed in just the last 9 months if you're especially concerned about Blu Ray playback (discs or rips to your hard drive).

Many of the video cards and integrated GPU's from ATI/AMD and Nvidia are now supporting bitstreaming of HD audio (Dolby True HD and dts HD Master Audio). That means they'll pass the encoded HD audio out the HDMI port of the video card so you can have a downstream AVR decode it for your speakers.

Plus those video cards act as video decode offload engines. That means your CPU can offload AVC/h.264 decoding to the GPU.

ATI calls their HD technology "Avivo HD". Nvidia call it "Pure Video HD".

The ATI Radeon 5xxx series cards are very popular now. You don't need an expensive gamer-class video card. Something cheap like a card based on the Radeon 5450 is nice because it will do the job (less than $50 at Newegg) and its low power so fanless. The next few GPU's up (55xx series) are also low power but usually have fans.

The only drawback is if you have BD's, you'll need to buy a BDROM drive and a software player like Cyberlink PowerDVD or equivalents from Arcsoft, etc. These programs use the DXVA API to allow decoding to be offloaded onto the GPU. They are often quite expensive so the cost of the BDROM and player equals the cost of a low-end BDP. But if you're into ripping/backing-up your own library of BD's its the way to go.

There are other software players out there that utilize offload for decoding - a really popular free one is MPC HC (Media Player Classic Home Cinema). These aren't licensed to play encrypted BD's but they can be used to play high quality rips where the encryption has been removed by programs like AnyDVD or DVDfab. They also play other HD formats like AVCHD from camcorders and digicams. Splash Lite is another alternative but I don't know if it can offload via DXVA.

Lots of info about this in the Home Theater PC forum. It took me many cups of coffee to absorb all this so I can now spec out a new HTPC

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I forgot to add these links:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3601

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1250607

If I had to purchase a video card now for an existing motherboard (PCIe needed), I'd get something based on a Radeon 5450 if I wanted a cool & ultra quiet HTPC. If I was really anal about video quality, then a Radeon 5570 per Anandtech's suggestion. In another 9 months, this suggestion will be outdated

I haven't mentioned Nvidia because they've been slow to get to HD audio bitstreaming so I haven't been following them (even though some friends of mine work @Nvidia). ATI Radeons and Intel integrated GPU's with Core I3/I5 mobos are there now.

If your HTPC needs to support additional tasks such as serious FPS gaming, then these cards wouldn't be your first choice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
rather than posting a new thread i'll post here.

i'm basically in the same boat. i want to use my PC to watch the countless movies i have on there and get sound out of my 5.1 (for now) setup. my pc hooked up to my tv as my main monitor - 32" LG Scarlet 1080p LCD.

I have an ONKYO 608 so i've got a HDMI etc.

my graphic card is a EVGA GTX260 Superclocked ed. so it's got PureVideo HD and two DVI to HDMI adapters as well as TV out. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130433

my mother board is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131366

can anyone help me get 5.1 from my pc to my receiver/speakers?

·
Registered
408 Posts
1. Set your on/mobo S/PDIF as your primary audio device.

2. Make sure you have S/PDIF cable that came with video card connecting the card to S/PDIF header on the mobo.

3. Use The HDMI adapter that came with card, and run the HDMI cable to the AVR.

Stereo sources like music will be sent as 2-channel PCM (stereo) and your AVR can matrix it to 5.1 or 7.1, as long as bitrate is not too high. I.e. many AVRs will not matrix 192kHz.

Sources that have a DD5.1 tracks - like movies ripped from DVDs with 5.1 audio preserved - will send DD, and your AVR will decode it to true 5.1 surround.

Sources like games that have multichannel sound deliver it as LPCM. I am not sure if your mobo's VIA audio supports Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect. If it does, you will get true surround (correct positional sound) in games. If not, it is stereo only, not true positional.

A fairly cheap upgrade option would be a saound card like Asus Xonar DS 7.1 - around $50, and features DTS Connect.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorrpio /forum/post/18811369

1. Set your on/mobo S/PDIF as your primary audio device.

2. Make sure you have S/PDIF cable that came with video card connecting the card to S/PDIF header on the mobo.

3. Use The HDMI adapter that came with card, and run the HDMI cable to the AVR.

Stereo sources like music will be sent as 2-channel PCM (stereo) and your AVR can matrix it to 5.1 or 7.1, as long as bitrate is not too high. I.e. many AVRs will not matrix 192kHz.

Sources that have a DD5.1 tracks - like movies ripped from DVDs with 5.1 audio preserved - will send DD, and your AVR will decode it to true 5.1 surround.

Sources like games that have multichannel sound deliver it as LPCM. I am not sure if your mobo's VIA audio supports Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect. If it does, you will get true surround (correct positional sound) in games. If not, it is stereo only, not true positional.

A fairly cheap upgrade option would be a saound card like Asus Xonar DS 7.1 - around $50, and features DTS Connect.

Thanks man! that's what i was looking for! got it working!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Once you get all the cables/sound card straightened out I would suggest installing XBMC to take care of playing your Video. It comes pre-packaged with all of the audio and video codecs you'll need to get you up and going. It's what I use to play all my movies and it works great. You can download it here http://xbmc.org/download/ . Either that or Media Portal will work fine but after using Media Portal for about a year I switched to XBMC on a friends suggestion and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I purchased DELL SB0770 X-FI Extreme gamer sound card recently and sucessfully installed it in my PC after lots of struggle ofcourse. Now the problem is that the DTS & DD Live often goes out of sync and when I play music or videos, it gets stuck often and after a while it mutes. I have to reset my bluray player to start hear audio again. I can see that my processor spikes too often. Any solutions please?

MBD : MSI 760 GM - P23 (FX)

Processsor : AMD Athlon 270 3.6 Ghz 2 core processor

RAM : 4 GB

HDD : 1 TB

GPU : NVIDIA GT610 2GB

Installation Procedure for DELL SB 0770

1. Download Latest PAX driver

2. Uninstall your onboard audio and your graphics audio drivers. Disable graphics card audio in device manager. (Sound, game and video controllers & High definition audio controller in System devices )

3 Disable your onboard audio in BIOS

4. Open cabinet and install card in the PCI Slot - (Shake it well and ensure it seats well)

5. Start the PC, Windows will recognize it as HD audio device.

6. Go to High definition audio controller in System devices and click on the update driver

7. Windows will now download and installs dirver

8. Restart the PC

9. Install PAX driver

10. Restart the PC

14. Now Open the sound in control panel and set Speakers as default device, communication device as well

11. You will be lucky if the audio works. If not then Open creative audio contol panel and switch from game mode to entertainment mode

12. Go to device manager and test of it works.It will work now. If not then reset your home theater by switching it off and turn on again. (Applicable for Digital output)

13. So now we have tried and it should work (Mostly).

14. Goto console and enable "Line In" instead of microphone. (Otherwise DTS Connect would only output 2 channels)

15. Disable all recording devices (Tends to boost cpu usage often)

16. It should most probably work now except the problem above mentioned..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts