AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new Toshiba 52HM84, what can i do to get a better picture on the standard definition channels? What sort of settings should i mess with?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDLPOwner
I just received my new Toshiba 52HM84, what can i do to get a better picture on the standard definition channels? What sort of settings should i mess with?
It usually is not the settings as much as the "source" that you are viewing.

DirecTV/Dish Network are usually the crapiest followed by Cable TV(usually), but YMMV.

There are other sources, but most consumers will not spend the money/have the room for the equiptment. More info on better sources is in my sig.

Jim

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Buy or rent a video calibration DVD like Avia or Video Essentials. That will help you properly adjust your brightness, contrast, sharpness, and other settings for the best video.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Get a good antenna for the locals. That's what most subscribers watch the most, anyway.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
If you are using an HD digtial cable box, try splitting the cable b4 it goes into the box, and run a seperate feed into the regular tuner for the tv, or if it doesnt have a tuner, use your vcr as an SD tuner. HD cable boxes are notoriously bad at showing SD signals.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDLPOwner
What is your source? Cable? Satellite? OTA?

Are you getting a good clean signal?

Did the SD channels look good on your previous TV?

What's a Toshiba 52HM84 anyway?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 52hm84. I have a SA 8300HD dvr tuner as my cable box. Going through the advanced setup and enabling all the scan modes and the selecting pass through in video options inproved the PQ in SD for me. The SA box isnt doing video scaling anymore (it was scaling everything to 1080i before) I think this is pretty much equivilant to splitting the signal before it hits the tv. You want your expensive TV to do the scaling, not some cheapo cable box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.