AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my cherry baseboard coming this afternoon. I will be staining it tonight and am going to install it tomorrow. My question- I am having the floor carpeted and have been told to raise the baseboard by ½ to ¾ of an inch so the carpet installers can actually tuck the carpet under the base thereby removing the need for quarter round. I don’t know what to do? If for some reason my baseboard is installed to high then wont the carpet looks stupid- meaning then I would have to use the quarter round anyway. Do I want to use quarter round in the first place or no?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Why don't you install the carpet first and then put the baseboards in? Also if you have the baseboards in first, when the installer kicks the carpet, there will be a chance it will scuff the baseboards.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Without a baseboard, there's nothing to tuck the carpet under. Even if that problem is overcome, putting down the baseboard can lock the carpet in place and make replacing it a real pain. Talk to the carpet installer to see what is needed. It might be possible to make a cheap, temporary baseboard of 1x2 that can be replaced by the good stuff after the carpet is laid. A good installer is not going to do significant damage to a hardwood baseboard though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I typically use scrap drywall as a spacer when installing the baseboard before carpet. Just lay the scraps on the floor and rest the baseboard on them. Once the baseboard is nailed in place, remove the drywall spacers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you are fotunate enough to have a perfectly level floor, you will want no more than 3/8 inch space. I just had mine carpeted last week and used 5/8 because I have some real uneven spots. Tack strips go down right in front of the baseboards and then the carpet tucks in underneath. This creates a seemless look. Trust me you do not want to install the baseboard after the carpet has been layed.

Side note, depending on the grade of carpet you got, you may end up with scratch marks on the walls and baseboard as a result of the carpet backing. That stuff tears things up unless it is lined like some manufatureres do.

good luck

·
Registered
202 Posts
Good point about the potential scratch marks. I can only imagine how ticked I'd be if my beautiful GOM work now has runs all over it due to carpet installers/backing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you put a coat or two of urethane over the stained base, you shouldn't have to worry about damage to it. Just finish all the base moldings, and when it's ready to be installed, rip 1/2" spacer blocks to keep it off the floor and nail it on.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Sungen, check the installation contract. The installer I used had a disclaimer about scuffs to freshly painted items. They didn't scuff anything, but if they did I was responsible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.