AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in a few days i will be receiving my new servo 15 w/ the x-30 crossover and i am wondering about the connectivity w/ the x-30.

my system (60%music/40%HT):

studio100s/cc/adp/servo15

marantz av9000 pre/pro

parasound 2205AT

i think i want to run the fronts full-range for music but i would like the servo to provide "reinforcement" at the lowest frequencies for HT. do i use the x-30 unit or do i leave it out and use the pre/pro for base management?

thanks for your suggestions,

mother.

·
Premium Member
3,831 Posts
Set your Marantz's sub setting to "none" and the mains to "full". This will route all bass information to the main channels. Run the main speaker wires through the X-30 and run your sub from the X-30. Set your X-30 crossover to the desired frequency and enjoy! You can also leave out the X-30 & use the Marantz as the crossover. However, I'd go with the X-30 since it is more flexible...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Greg,

The X-30 does not have speaker level inputs. To accomplish what you have suggested he will need the X-20 crossover which his dealer should be able to substitute for the X-30 if he wants to go in this direction.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The X-30 connects between the pre/pro and the power amps LR inputs using RCA analog audio interconnects(stereo cables). Yes you will need an extra pair above what you currently use for the LR.

Set the pre-pro to: No sub, large mains, others to small.

use the 50HZ output jacks ( high pass out) to connect the LR amp inputs. This way the main speakers only play above 50HZ. Then adjust sub cut off freq, level. phase etc..

Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the quick responses :D

yes, my understanding is that the x-30 connects between the pre/pro and power amp and that it has 3 crossovers @ 50, 80, and 120. however, two questions still remain.

1) if i cross over the mains at 50 will i be using the "full capacity" of the speaker since it's bass extension is ~25, and

2) what is LFE and will that be routed to the SW for HT applications?

thanks again for your help,

mother

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you use the X-30 with the 100's and xover at 50 then you will lose some of the low freq capability of the 100's because all -50 info will be passed to the sub.

Some would say that the servo 15 is better suited to those freq than the mains but that is something you will have to experiment with.

LFE is low freq effects.

You have two options:

1.use the X-30 as an external xover and limit the mains to 50 then let the servo 15 handle the real low stuff. I would favor this because IMO you will get better performance as the amp and speakers don't have to handle the -50. This way you will get the same bass performance no matter if music or HT because all the bass will be routed to the x30 which will decide how much goes to main and sub.

2. Don't use the X-30 as a xover instead use solely as a remote controller ( place near your components). This way the sub is easier to adjust. Connect the xover to the LFE out and the sub to the xover then use the mains full range. Set the mains to full, yes to subwoofer and the other speakers to small. This may or may not sound better in your room. If you add another sub its simply a matter of plugging it into the extra X30 sub out.

Anything more technical than this can be better handled by others. just hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by magster
If you use the X-30 with the 100's and xover at 50 then you will lose some of the low freq capability of the 100's because all -50 info will be passed to the sub.

Some would say that the servo 15 is better suited to those freq than the mains but that is something you will have to experiment with.
Remember, that a crossover is not a brick wall, it's a filter, the beginning of the frequency roll off. Some information below 50 Hz will make it to the Studio/100's when set to small. How much depends on how steep the crossover is.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry I guess I didn't make myself clear.

When you use the X-30 the mains are set to large so the x-30 handles the bass mix rather than the pre/pro. All the bass from all channels goes to the x-30 and is then split between the main amp/speakers and the sub. I'm not sure what the tech specs for this unit are or how steep the xover actually is but it does a great job of blending the mains with a sub.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mother,

Change the subject a bit. Just got the parasound 2205A for a good price. I want to match 2205A up with Paradigm 100V2, Studio CC, Studio APD(surround) in the spring, how does your system sound. What kind of music you listen to. And do you buy your Paradigms in Canada like I'm going to.

Kevin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kevin,

i do not have the system fully hooked up yet as i am still waiting for the 2205 to arrive. however, i hear this amp is a good match with paradigm speakers.

i also listen to all types of music but wanted speakers that performed well in a HT application. from my research paradigm seemed a reasonable solution for my budget.

i did not get the speakers in canada but got each at a significant discount from my local dealer hear in Utah. if you can get them from canada you will certainly save a good deal off the MSRP.

i would love to tell you these speakers are awesome but i won't be able to give a critical evaluation until atleast 100 hrs. of burn in time. however, they did sound incredible at my local dealer.

sorry i'm not much help. if you have any other questions feel free to email me. i should have some more answers after the initial burn in period.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.