AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speaker wire runs from just beside me (rack with my projector and audio stuff) to the mains. Now the question is, how do i keep the wire flat on the shagpile carpet so that they don't keep tripping me over? Is there some blindingly obvious cure i'm missing? :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
So, Nailphile status huh? Good one.

Ah, can you possibly run the wire under the shagpile carpet? Just make sure no-body wears heals or spikes over and shorts out the wires by stepping on them. What type of flooring do you have under the carpet, how attached to the carpet are you, and do you have access from below are other questions I would have. Oh, also what type of wire, the guage makes a big difference here.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is 16 ga wire, not too thick. I know the benefits of bigger wire, i just got the 16 ga free. :)

I'll have to check what kind of floor i have under the carpet, and if i can lift it up at all...

·
Registered
306 Posts
You can buy a plactic item called a "cable tunnel" at office supply stores. It is commonly used in offices to run power cords or other wires between cubicles. It is ugly and will be noticeable. At least it will protect the speaker wires from damage, and reduce the chance of someone tripping.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Before I started building the basement we had a 5.1 setup in our family room. I had to get the speaker wire from the entertainment center in the corner to the center, other corner and two rear corners of the room. Here's how I did it.

I shoved the wire under the basebords and went around the parameter of the room as much as possible. When this wasn't possible (like across the front of a staircase I pulled up the carpet from a corner, sliced a SMALL trough in the pad and placed the wire in that. A fish tape can also help a lot here.

Hopefully your carpet isn't glued down.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, the carpet is glued down. So far, the best suggestion has been the cable tunnel. Running it around the perimeter is not practical at all.

What is fish tape, BTW?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Fish tape is a rather stiff but still bendable "wire" with a hook on the end of it used for pulling wires or other things thru spaces not readily accessable. You feed the fish tape thru the wall (or whatever) attach your wire to the end of the fish tape and then pull it out. They're available at any hardware store.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Mark,

I use cable channel (tunnel) in my HT to cover a section of speaker cable that cuts across the entranceway and it works very well. It is called Cordmate II and is made by Wiremold and is available at Home Depot. a 5' strip costs about $10. It's pretty sturdy; I can step on it and not crack the channeling.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.