AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new system as follows. Denon AVR X2100 mated to a set of Klipsch RF-42 II's and an RC-42II. I found out the 42's were not enough speaker for my room. I then moved to a pair of Klipsch RF-62II's and will soon get the matching RC-62II. It seems these are really efficient speakers but Klipsch recommends something with more power. I do not have surrounds as of now but will later add some in ceiling speakers. Do I have enough power? How do I know? My receiver is rated at 95w/channel in stereo, probably more like 65-70 watts using multi channels. The RF-62's are rated at about 125 rms.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It should be fine. Consider that they say they are ~97db sensitive, so you would be using just a few watts most of the time at normal listening levels.

Every 3db requires double the power, so ~100db would be 2w, 103db 4w, 106db 8w, 109db 16w, 112db 32w, 115db 64w

I have a set of klipsch speakers with about the same sensitivity and my emotiva avr is only rated for 65w at all channels driven, and it's been more than enough so far

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Considering a AVR 4000 or Onkyo 828 before my return window ends.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Extra power is nice just to have some more clean headroom without clipping the amp if you have the thing cranked all the time, but if what you have now sounds ok at the levels you listen at, you may not need it

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I will spend some more time with this unit. I can turn it up to 70 and it is as loud as I need and play clear without audiable distortion.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Ok. I will spend some more time with this unit. I can turn it up to 70 and it is as loud as I need and play clear without audiable distortion.
Try changing the display on your AVR to show the -db numbers. It's much easier to understand what volume you are listening at, provided you ran the auto setup.

I have the RF62s and my AVR is rated at 45 watts/channel and I have enough power to drive myself out of the room watching movies.

With music I "can" run out of power but by that point I'm beyond what is comfortable for more than a couple of minutes.

And I run my towers full range, if I were to cross them over at 80 or 100hz even with music I don't think I would have a problem.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used audyssey to set up. All my numbers are negatively set. Audyssey set my x over to 40hz and speakers are set to small

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I just got a new system as follows. Denon AVR X2100 mated to a set of Klipsch RF-42 II's and an RC-42II. I found out the 42's were not enough speaker for my room. I then moved to a pair of Klipsch RF-62II's and will soon get the matching RC-62II. It seems these are really efficient speakers but Klipsch recommends something with more power. I do not have surrounds as of now but will later add some in ceiling speakers. Do I have enough power? How do I know? My receiver is rated at 95w/channel in stereo, probably more like 65-70 watts using multi channels. The RF-62's are rated at about 125 rms.
It's typically only an issue if you have low sensitivity speakers or speakers that are low impedence. The easier solution is usually finding speakers of an equal sound quality that aren't either of the above.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
I used audyssey to set up. All my numbers are negatively set. Audyssey set my x over to 40hz and speakers are set to small
If you're concerned about power running low raise the crossover to 80 or 100. That will take more of the load off the amp.

Like I said I run mine as large, no crossover with less power and don't have any issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts