AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I don't know how to put this nicely.

1) The receiver is designed specifically for a (cheap) HTiB setup. I simply would never recommend it for any other gear that what it was sold with.

2) The speakers are a brand I've never heard of and for which the online information is dubious. The apparently sold out of BB at one point, but that's not saying too much.

They list a 92db sensitivity, which should be easy to drive. They also claim to be 3-way which can be a problem to drive. Without more information I could not tell you if a normal AVR would properly drive them.

Personally: I would not consider a tower speaker that low-end. At that price range I'll always go for bookshelves and pair a sub.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm very new to this, I mean my home theatre in a box was bought 5 years ago lol.

http://www.precision-acoustics.com/hd45.html is their official website.

On the site it says "Maximum Amplifier Power: 200 watts" and my cheap setup says it channels 170 watts per front speaker?

Honestly, if I don't like it I'll just return it, I fully realize I'm on a enthusiast forum and you guys will have high standards, but from where I am coming from (the HTiB) it will be an upgrade. I only use it for gaming and music primarily.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin007 /forum/post/19567577

I'm very new to this, I mean my home theatre in a box was bought 5 years ago lol.

http://www.precision-acoustics.com/hd45.html is their official website.

On the site it says "Maximum Amplifier Power: 200 watts" and my cheap setup says it channels 170 watts per front speaker?

Honestly, if I don't like it I'll just return it, I fully realize I'm on a enthusiast forum and you guys will have high standards, but from where I am coming from (the HTiB) it will be an upgrade. I only use it for gaming and music primarily.

Thanks in advance.

Think of it like this, the receiver was built for the set up that came with it. You will have 2 floorstanding speakers that the receiver will power although it may actually sound worse for a couple of reasons mainly balancing. What center are you going to use? If I was looking for an upgrade path I would start with a receiver, then get your fronts that match your center, sub and move towards your surrounds. Otherwise you may end up with a Frankenstein set up that plays loud but like ****.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon
Think of it like this, the receiver was built for the set up that came with it. You will have 2 floorstanding speakers that the receiver will power although it may actually sound worse for a couple of reasons mainly balancing. What center are you going to use? If I was looking for an upgrade path I would start with a receiver, then get your fronts that match your center, sub and move towards your surrounds. Otherwise you may end up with a Frankenstein set up that plays loud but like ****.
So basically, the cheap amp will indeed power the speakers that I am looking at BUT, the sound could possibly sound even worse because they won't balance?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The primary problem with most HTIB is they tend not to be expandable. Yours is a good example - the spec's are 150 watts into 1 speaker at 4 ohms w/10% distortion. Those specs are not acceptable. I think you will need to replace your receiver as well as your speakers.

What is your budget? You might be surprised to learn that you won't need floorstanding speakers (despite HTIB marketing, they aren't called "tallboys") to get a significant improvement.

Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This might sound shallow of me but one of the main reason why I wanted to get this new set of tower speakers is because I bought a new black tv and those silver speakers don't look so great against it, I am satisfied with this cheap HTiB system to be honest, I just want a tower speaker to match the TV and make my setup look more expensive.

I'm still new to this so what makes those specs unacceptable? Will they fry the precision acoustic speakers or vice versa?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Power is an easy problem to solve with older tech. A 5.1 avr can be had off craigslist for tens of dollars, and will power most reasonably efficient speakers.

Finding cheap, effective speakers for surrounds (assuming your panasonics don't work), is easy too.

Your hardest part is going to be timber mactching the center speaker. You might want to try making sure, if you go for a cheap receiver off of craigslist, that it can phantom the center.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think my older brother has a very old amp that has been hiding in the basement for a while but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the system right now, all the speaker work, I just wanted to know if I can upgrade the front speakers safely.

Also. The HTiB comes with a "center" speaker? I am not sure what you are referring to.

sorry for all the questions

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
And the short answer is: we don't know if it is safe, but we are worried it is not.

The panasonic system is highly customized and we are worried it may not play well with normal speakers. For similar reasons, the panasonic speakers may be a problem for a normal amp. I am on a phone and wont try a comprehensive list of speculation why.

Assuming you do get some configuration where some of your panasonic speakers are running along with your new fronts, you may find that runnin the panasonic center with non-panasonic left/ right speakers causes sound problems in movies; which often send the same or similar sounds across the three front channels.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin007
I think my older brother has a very old amp that has been hiding in the basement for a while but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the system right now, all the speaker work, I just wanted to know if I can upgrade the front speakers safely.

Also. The HTiB comes with a "center" speaker? I am not sure what you are referring to.

sorry for all the questions
In a home theater, your front three speakers need to match -- Front Left, Right, and Center. In other words, they need to be from the same line of speakers.

That is why an upgrade would include replacing your entire frontstage (for 3.1), not just the front R/L.

Most newer receivers have the ability to simulate a center speaker if you only have a 2.0 or 2.1 setup -- this is called using a "phantom center."

Make sense?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have actually heard these speakers. Best Buy in Canada carries them. There not bad for a lower end speaker. You can get a whole 5.1 setup from them for $799 sold as a set with sub (I just checked online).

As everyone is telling you, your going to need more power. Take it from me I just went through it about 3 years ago. When I switched I tried using the so called amp that was in my HTiB and it would barely even power my speakers.

Onkyo makes some great starter receivers right now with lots of options try looking at the TXSR508.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The problem is that I'm a college student without a job hoping to upgrade his system in his bedroom. I'm very happy with my 52" TV and the theatre system but upgrading it wouldn't be so bad as a little gift to myself for the hard work I have put in thus far in the year.

I really don't have much to spend. I guess its not worth the hassle.

Nonetheless, I would like to thank you guys for helping me out

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin007 /forum/post/19568163

The problem is that I'm a college student without a job hoping to upgrade his system in his bedroom. I'm very happy with my 52" TV and the theatre system but upgrading it wouldn't be so bad as a little gift to myself for the hard work I have put in thus far in the year.

I really don't have much to spend. I guess its not worth the hassle.

Nonetheless, I would like to thank you guys for helping me out

Kevin-

If you are satisfied with your current setup despite the color I vote paint the speakers. You can truly make them look like they came from the factory that way. It is a cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I agree with the others that you probably shouldn't meddle with "upgrading" a HTIB with new speakers. I realize this isn't the answer (or even the type of answer) you were hoping for. But the problem is that although it may be able to power the speakers fine, it might actually sound worse than just using the HTIB speakers that you already have.

I think your upgrade plan shoud be:

1) New receiver - it will power your existing HTIB speakers, and offer room for upgrades in the future.

2) New front sounstage. New Left, Center, Right Speakers. It's important that all 3 are timbre-matched (from the same line from the same manufacturer) in order to sound the best.

3) New subwoofer. However, this really depends on what kind of speakers you have for the front soundstage ... if you get good speakers for the front, you might not actually need the subwoofer at first, so you might be better off switching my 3) and 4) ...

4) New rears/surrounds. Ideally from the same line as your front soundstage, but not as essential as having those three match.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.