AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a bluray player and I remember reading that the 1080p/24 setting was the best for bluray movies since movies run at 24fps. Well, I found that option in my bluray player settings, enabled it, and it seemed to accept it, but how do I know if my TV accepts it? It just says it's playing in 1080p. I have the 40" Dynex 1080p LCD.

Also, I'm new to bluray so I'm not sure about this, but why is everything in extreme widescreen? Meaning I have black bars on the top and bottom of the picture, even though my HDTV is already widescreen. Is there anyway to turn this off?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinegts85 /forum/post/19647479

I just recently purchased a bluray player and I remember reading that the 1080p/24 setting was the best for bluray movies since movies run at 24fps. Well, I found that option in my bluray player settings, enabled it, and it seemed to accept it, but how do I know if my TV accepts it? It just says it's playing in 1080p. I have the 40" Dynex 1080p LCD.

Also, I'm new to bluray so I'm not sure about this, but why is everything in extreme widescreen? Meaning I have black bars on the top and bottom of the picture, even though my HDTV is already widescreen. Is there anyway to turn this off?

write down your model number and go to the Dynex website and it should be written there if your TV supports 1080/24p.

As for the black bars, there are differnet widescreen format and depending on the one that was choosen when the movie was shot, you may still have blackbars when watching on your HDTV.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...another question.

I have two different HDMI cables. Both are from ebay. One was a little more expensive and the cable is thicker. When I use that one, the picture looks stunning. When I use the other HDMI cable, I can see grains all over the picture. I thought all HDMI cables were the same...I thought it was either you get a connection or not? It's not in my mind...one cable produces a better picture than the other which kinda irritates me because I like to have the best picture possible so now I need to shop around for some good HDMI cables.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The screen refresh rate is 60Hz in the specs. It does not directly support 24p as the screen refresh rate is not a multiple of 24. You need a 120Hz or 240Hz panel to see any benefits from 24p.

·
Registered
8,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinegts85 /forum/post/19647479

Most films are extreme widescreen,moviedirectors choose this format because its cinematic and widescreen (16:9) is not,the bigger your screen is the more interesting the black bar movies become,46inch really is the minimum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Any0CeBFr0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_eu6OI36Us

1 - 9 of 9 Posts