AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fiddling with an antenna design for a couple years now. It doesn't look like anything I have seen anywhere else, and I think it is beginning to pick up fairly well.

I have been out of work for about a year (no unemployment either), and so if this antenna is really good enough to sell (I Hope!
) I would like to sell it.

But, how do I know when it is picking up well enough to consider it a sell-able product?

If you pull up Selma, NC 27576 on TVFool you can see what channels are in my area (I would post link, but I am not allowed yet).

With the antenna inside, sitting on top to the TV set, I am currently getting:

22.1, 28.1, 5.1, 50.1, 17.1, 30.1, 25.1 (weak), 47.1, 9.1, 4.1, 7.1, 12.1, 14.1

I loose 9.1, 12.1, and 14.1 in certain weather conditions, but they are all over 50 miles away (7.1 is also over 50 miles away).

This is also in omnidirectional mode, I haven't tried reflectors or anything like that with this design.

What do you think?

Edit:

I do get channel 11 (very strong signal), just forgot to add it to the above list.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I would think you need to compare yor design to other antennas already on the market to see if it offered any features that would set it apart from these antennas. Also is your design patentable because of some unique design characteristic, if it is not then any manufacturer could replicate your design without paying you a dime.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Interesting, but you don't recieve 11.1 (RF11), WTVD? I note you also have trouble with 9 (RF10) and 12 (RF12)--does your design not pick up VHF too well? Maybe since they're all adjacent channels they are interferring with each other. I assume your design is an indoor antenna. Best of luck.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgibson /forum/post/18298194

But, how do I know when it is picking up well enough to consider it a sell-able product?

You should find a way to have it assessed using technical equipment.

·
Banned
172 Posts
At a minimum, you should model it in software program such as NEC.

http://www.nec2.org/

This would provide estimates of your creation's: impedance, gain, directional pattern, SWR throughout the TV band of channels.

Then you could compare your design to what is available in the marketplace.

After that it's all marketing 101.

I know of someone who published a magazine ad, selling construction plans for $10, for what he called a 'Dragon Fly' antenna, that would work on multiple frequencies, to ham radio operators. He had thousands of orders and made a lot of money from that ad.

The funny part......the Dragon Fly was nothing new or revolutionary. It was simply, 3 half wave dipoles attached to a single feed line (e.g. commonly published for years in various handbooks). The plan was a simple diagram of the above, on a single 11" x 8" page that he made copies of for pennies.

Even funnier......he did not receive one complaint or request for any money back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog /forum/post/18299408

Interesting, but you don't recieve 11.1 (RF11), WTVD? I note you also have trouble with 9 (RF10) and 12 (RF12)--does your design not pick up VHF too well? Maybe since they're all adjacent channels they are interferring with each other. I assume your design is an indoor antenna. Best of luck.

I do get 11 (just forgot it in the above post). Yes, so far it is indoor, and seems to be picking up everything for about 50 to 55 miles in an omnidirectional manner.

I have been thinking of making an outdoor, directional version. What kind of pickup range would be considered "very good"??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts