AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to run a 35' component video cable, with RCA connectors on one end and a VGA connector on the other, through a tube inside my walls. I discovered today that the tube is too narrow for the connectors to fit through!

So I need to make my own cable. I've seen instructions on how to make an RCA-RCA component cable, but how do I attach a VGA connector to the component cables? And where do I get the parts?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Here is a link that shows how to make one with CAT5 cable. The idea was first brought forth by Mr. Wigggles here on the forum, there is a link on the page to the original AVS thread.

To make an RCA to VGA adapter, follow the same recipe. For most displays that use an HD-15 connector for component and RGB the connections are

Code:
Code:
[B]PIN               CAT5 CONDUCTOR          USE[/B]
1                 Orange                  Pr (Tip)
2                 Green                   Y (Tip)
3                 Blue                    Pb (Tip)
6                 Orange/White            Pr (Shield)
7                 Green/White             Y (Shield)
8                 Blue/White              Pb (Shield)
Twist Brown and Brown White together and connect to the HD-15 shell.
Parts are all available from Radio Shack and should cost around $10 total.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, this is a neat idea. I'm not sure about the quality, but at least it's dirt cheap to try it out. The web page says that a sheilded cable helps.

Anyone have any anecdotal evidence on how this cable compares to a $100+ version purchased from a retailer?

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
You really need to search that thread before doing this. Mysphyt only outlined the basics. You need shielded CAT 5 cable which is not that commen. Also what about H&V sync. For component YpBpR you don't need those lines but if you are running RGBHV you do.

Reasearch the thread before buying the parts. Personally I don't like the idea of using CAT 5 cable for high quality video but that's JMO. Those who tried it seem to be pleased with the results and Mr. Wiggles is a respected engineer on the forum.

·
Registered
264 Posts
There was a thread here somewhere about this (may have been in the projector forums) a while back that lasted forever and was about 350 pages long.

Search for it. It was VERY comprehensive...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.