Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a factory refurbished RTV 5080.

I have both analog cable and Digital Cable. However, at this time, I am only using the analog cable into the RTV. I have seen posts where people use the video in from the digital cable box for channels 1-1000 and the analog will fit in above 1000.

First question, will that work on my 5080 vs. the newer RTV's?

After the cable comes in the house, I split it out three ways (cable modem, digital cable, and for analog cable). What I have then done is take the analog cable side, put in a filter to prevent anything above channel 85. I then take this filtered 1-85, use a three channel modulator to introduce my digital cable onto channel 90, my RTV 5080 output to 92, and DVD output onto channel 94. I then have channels 1-85, 90, 92, and 94 on my analog side before it goes into the house amplifier. Thus, I can watch DVD's, RTV, and digital cable on any tv in the house.

So, the second question is: If I don't get a positive answer on my first question, can I manually add channel 90 (digital cable) to my RTV 5080 for manual recording of the output from the modulator???

Thanks in advance. And, this is a very nice forum that has been very helpful.

Don

·
Registered
210 Posts
Interesting setup. Do a search on this fourm for something called "WiRNS". It is a software application that lets you customize your ReplayTV Channel Guide. I think it could work for you.

-Robbie

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
There is no easy way to add channels to the guide. If that is a neccessity, then your only course of action is "wIRNS."

However, you can manually record a channel that doesn't exist in the guide using the advanced options. I also believe you can tune that channel as well by just typing in the channel.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Couldn't you accomplish (almost) the same goal by connecting the digital cable signal to the RTV input, and then modulating the RTV output signal?

The only thing you couldn't do would be watch live digital channels tv in one set and watch rtv playback in another. If that is absolutely necessary you could somehow split the digital cable output signal.

With your arrangement you cannot use the RTV program guide, so you lose the benefits of recording theme channels.

BTW, the "1000" channel feature has been around from the beginning, it should work on your unit.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PVRick
Similar setup as "block" but haven't figured out how to tune to one of my modulator's channels w/o starting a recording ... wIRNS the only way?
No, as I think Ace has already said, you can tune to any channel (not just those listed in the guide) just by punching in the number of the channel on your RTV remote. I tried it last night and it worked with my cable box. I'm assuming it works with the internal RTV tuner...

For example: Channel 87 is not part of my cable lineup. However, if I'm watching "live" buffered TV though my RTV, I can hit 8-7-OK on my RTV remote, and it will try to change my cable box to channel 87. (My cable box won't actually tune to that channel, but that's not really an issue here.)

-Robbie

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah, my RCN cable guide has Tech TV at ch97, but the actual analogue feed has it on 117. If I use the digital box it does come in on 97, but my cable ready TV, VCR, and ReplayTV have TechTV on 117. Anyway, I've known I can mannually type in that channel to tune it and it works fine. I didn't know you can use advanced options to set a manual recording to an unlisted channel. I'll have to check that out. The last time I wanted to record something from TechTV I set my VCR to 117 and then set a manual recording on the replaytv to record from my VCR.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Manual recordings can be found using the RTV Menu key and selecting Manual record from there, like you might currently do to read from your VCR. On the page where you select the input and channel pressing the FF button puts you in the "advanced" mode that is referred to here. From there you can either select your composite input (like for the VCR) or your RF input, which you want. There is an additional box that says no tuning that can be changed to manual "0000". Once the zeros show up you simply type in the channel (117, for instance) you want it to record from.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You could choose a second input lineup that has channel 90, 92, 94. Check to see if any of the satellite, or cable lineups in your area have those channels. You then hide every channel except 90,92, and 94. The menu guide will have the wrong data, but you don't sound like you are concerned with lineup data. (particularly for the DVD). It also will list the channel name incorrectly, but it seems like less trouble to remember that channel 92 is DVD than it is to set up a channel guide proxy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.