AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
if you you have (have access to) the right tools and skills, the safest solution is formica or similar laminate that you see on tabletops. you can first try it with doubleface tape.

paint is too risky

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue19 /forum/post/14225121

It's gray right now. Anyway I can turn it into a high quality black color?

·
Registered
125 Posts
in my personal opinion, the glossy black bezel or frame around most current sets causes too much reflection and is distracting from the actual picture on the screen. i prefer the sets with a matte finish bezel. just my opinion though...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
so do i (prefer matte)...but the pio's come with glossy and they don't bother me.

don't know whey blu19 wants to change but what ever the reason, the laminate come in many colors/finishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdavy /forum/post/14225211

in my personal opinion, the glossy black bezel or frame around most current sets causes too much reflection and is distracting from the actual picture on the screen. i prefer the sets with a matte finish bezel. just my opinion though...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the reason I wanted it glossy black was because, I have a black dlp samsung, all the stereo equipment is black, wall speakers are black, couch and table are black and dell lcd monitors for surveillance system are black.

I like the tv the way it is. But when everything in the room is black, it's kind of an annoyance and a stand out.

I have no idea where to start with "formica". Are there any tutorials? I would like it to be laminated, like the samsung dlp.

Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Use some Build 50 with black tint! :)

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue19 /forum/post/14226802

Anyone else have any suggestions?

How are you going to paint around the button and name plates? It's going to look like crap. Just buy a new set.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I rarely agree with Omeletpants but....I'm afraid it will look like crap no matter how carefully you paint it or what kind of paint you use.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
first, formica is just a just an example- there are a couple other possibilities. depending upon your handiness/tools, you can try thin sheet of plastic (and paint it), wood moldings (this what i used for making trim for my microwave cabinet).

there is another possibilities

1.- find an art store in your area, or try the internet, and see if they have a glossy black tape wide enough and stiff enough for you bezel and will come out wrinkle free. the challenge here will be to trim the tape neatly as it is unlikely you will find a tape that is the exact width.

2. try an auto customizing place (or web)...

re tutorials, yes home depot has tutorials for laminates. this should be under counter-top or something similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue19 /forum/post/14225373

Well the reason I wanted it glossy black was because, I have a black dlp samsung, all the stereo equipment is black, wall speakers are black, couch and table are black and dell lcd monitors for surveillance system are black.

I like the tv the way it is. But when everything in the room is black, it's kind of an annoyance and a stand out.

I have no idea where to start with "formica". Are there any tutorials? I would like it to be laminated, like the samsung dlp.

Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkja /forum/post/14226882

first, formica is just a just an example- there are a couple other possibilities. depending upon your handiness/tools, you can try thin sheet of plastic (and paint it), wood moldings (this what i used for making trim for my microwave cabinet).

there is another possibilities

1.- find an art store in your area, or try the internet, and see if they have a glossy black tape wide enough and stiff enough for you bezel and will come out wrinkle free. the challenge here will be to trim the tape neatly as it is unlikely you will find a tape that is the exact width.

2. try an auto customizing place (or web)...

re tutorials, yes home depot has tutorials for laminates. this should be under counter-top or something similar

Glossy tape? That sounds like a very good idea. I assumed painting it wouldn't turn out to good.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
What you are looking for is simple materials that can be obtained from Home Depot. A can of Kyrlon Glossy Black and, here is the trick, a can of clear glossy polyurethane (spray).

One coat of gloss black wont give you the pop, but with two or three coats of clear gloss poly you'd be all set. You can test try it on some smooth material laying around your garage.

Someone else on AVS painted thier bezel black about 5-6years ago - with excellent results. The thread is probably in the archives somewhere. Don't let others scare you - just take your time.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
if you paint-

first, it is a challenge to find a paint that will stick to the bezel...most bezels are smooth plastic type materials and most paints (in my experience) don't adhere well to them, then start to flake.

application- i you brush, it is rather difficult to create a smooth uniform look. that is why cars are never brushed, always sprayed.

so if you spray, first you will have to mask the screen and back of the panel very carefully so that only the bezel sees the paint. also, you have to take the panel in a garage or outdoor as the spray paint will fly every where.

most importantly, if you don't like the results, it is very difficult to back out.

remember- whether you paint or apply laminate/veneer/tape, make sure the remote sensor and led spots remain uncovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue19 /forum/post/14227118

Glossy tape? That sounds like a very good idea. I assumed painting it wouldn't turn out to good.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue19 /forum/post/14226802

Anyone else have any suggestions?

I would suggest a semi gloss black or a matte black as it will be much easier to cover uniformly with a spary can. Gloss back tends to coat unevenly and will look like crap up close on such a large piece while the matte/ semi gloss blends much easier. It can be done if you carefully mask off all areas where you don't want paint and be sure to properly prepare the surface by sanding and cleaning with paint thinner before applying the paint. By taking your time you can come up with a reasonably nice looking panel, but it is risky if you don't know what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Take it apart and paint the casing, then put it back together.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by assJack1 /forum/post/14227564

What you are looking for is simple materials that can be obtained from Home Depot. A can of Kyrlon Glossy Black and, here is the trick, a can of clear glossy polyurethane (spray).

One coat of gloss black wont give you the pop, but with two or three coats of clear gloss poly you'd be all set. You can test try it on some smooth material laying around your garage.

Someone else on AVS painted thier bezel black about 5-6years ago - with excellent results. The thread is probably in the archives somewhere. Don't let others scare you - just take your time.

Interesting... All of the buttons on the tv are below the bezel, so the only thing that's showing is the logo and the sensor. Do you have a link of the person who painted theirs?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkja /forum/post/14228160

if you paint-

first, it is a challenge to find a paint that will stick to the bezel...most bezels are smooth plastic type materials and most paints (in my experience) don't adhere well to them, then start to flake.

application- i you brush, it is rather difficult to create a smooth uniform look. that is why cars are never brushed, always sprayed.

so if you spray, first you will have to mask the screen and back of the panel very carefully so that only the bezel sees the paint. also, you have to take the panel in a garage or outdoor as the spray paint will fly every where.

most importantly, if you don't like the results, it is very difficult to back out.

remember- whether you paint or apply laminate/veneer/tape, make sure the remote sensor and led spots remain uncovered.

Very good tips. Thank you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
eh, actually I change my mind. I highly doubt spray painting it glossy black will end up turning out like my samsung dlp, so I'll just go with flat or matte, or whatever they call it. I'm hoping to start tomorrow or the day after.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the type of spray paint I should use?

Krylon any good?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue19 /forum/post/14229960

eh, actually I change my mind. I highly doubt spray painting it glossy black will end up turning out like my samsung dlp, so I'll just go with flat or matte, or whatever they call it. I'm hoping to start tomorrow or the day after.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the type of spray paint I should use?

While you won't be able to get a mirror-like black finish, if you do it right you should still be able to still end up with a nice glossy finish. When i was a kid i spray-painted model cars and they turned out very nice.

What is the brand and model number of your plasma? Got pictures of it? If we see what you have to work with you can get more ideas.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts