AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any advice for watching a show that ReplayTV tech support has given up hope on?

Here's the issue: when I try to play (or play from beginning) a particular show on my 5040 it just freezes my unit. I have not deleted the show yet because I still have hope of one day watching it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
573 Posts
hi joshuairwin

Since you have tried playing the show and keep freezing up your replaytv, I think it is likely a corrupted file (like on a computer) that is simply not going to play/load. When this happened to my 3060, I had a show frozen and had to do a warm reboot (hold down power button) to get into the menu where you can delete the frozen show. After that it has worked fine for another year. You may want to hear from others before deleting your frozen show but the above is my experience. Good luck. :)

Rick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never tried downloading a program to my PC to play. How would I go about doing this? Do I have to install additional software?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would recommend getting DVArchive to download the files to your PC.

http://dvarchive.sourceforge.net

It is a java application, so you will need to have a java virtual machine installed, but DVArchive itself runs from a folder without a "installation". DVA has a very nice UI, and other features that you will be happy about once you see it in action.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have this problem about every other week with my 5080, and I can't figure what's causing it. I've tried downloading the corrupted shows with DVArchive, and it just causes the Replay to reboot. Ugh! It only seems to happen with the shows/movies I REALLY wanna see.

-AmoebaMan

·
Registered
86 Posts
Replays don't deal with file system errors very well. I'm not sure the solution but someone who has really dug into the file system can probably tell you if there is a way to do a chkdsk on it with doing a reformat or LL format. You would need to yank the drive and get it in a PC.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I usually hit display to get the time where the file freezes, play from beginning, then # of minutes QS, to jump past the freezing point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.