AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand why a company would go through the trouble on transmitting a digital singal, and not bother putting any HD (or 480p) content on it.

Last night "70s show", is suppose to be 480p widescreen, yet

they didn't pass on the 480p signal. (Ditto for 24 hours)

How does this make sense?!! You make the capital investment, then you don't use it.

Has anybody else had any luck "showing" the light to local affiliates?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Fox is hopeless. I've spoken to engineers at all the digital stations at one time or another. They liked that I was calling about the digital signal. This was a while back, but they said no one ever called them about it. Give them a call to let them know you are watching.

Here is a list of the phone numbers to each of the channels. Just ask to be transferred to the engineering dept.

WJZ - CBS - 410-466-0013 Eric Peele

WMPT - PBS - 410-356-5600 Kieth ?

WBFF - Fox - 410-467-4545 Dave Hackney

WMAR - ABC - 410-377-2222 Joe Bruno

WBAL - NBC - 410-467-3000 Sandy ?

·
Registered
A Samsung 65" QLED UHD TV... Onkyo AV Receiver... Polk Audio Surround Sound Speakers...
1,182 Posts
David Hackney at WBFF will listen if you call. When they first went on the air, I worked with them to get their sound right. I also sent an email to Sinclair about the lack of showing FOX 16x9 programming. They've never responded. But according to David, there are two (or more) issues going on.

1) FOX may be changing stations in Baltimore since they now own channel 24 through a merger. WBFF-DT nor FOX is interested in making the investment since the affiliation is only short term.

2) WBFF is owned by Sinclair (one of the anti-HD station groups). You may recall that about a year ago, they were more interested in stalling the digital transition by bringing up COFDM than in making their stations digital ready.

3) The economy has caused Sinclair to show losses. They have hired some Wall Street firm to look at how to improve their fortunes, but I suspect that they are clamping down on budgets at many of their stations.

Additionally, when I call WBAL-DT, I speak to Hank Volpe who is also very informative. (I don't remember the number, but its on the Website and he sometimes responds to email.) Joe Bruno at WMAR-DT is good about responding to email.

I've never had anyone at WJZ-DT respond to email and I don't receive WMPT so I've never tried to contact them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.