AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have HDTV from Time Warner cable, using a scientific atlanta box that has 1080i component video outputs, and as far as I can tell no firewire or anything like that. Will a JVC 30k record off of component video, is there some sort of component 1080i to firewire adaptor?

Also regarding the JVC 30k, does it output normal VHS and S-VHS tapes through its component video output (at 480i I imagine)?

What are all the problems regarding the JVC 30k all about? I have seen a lot of complaints about it, but no one telling exactly what the nature of the problem is, just that they are upset with JVC.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Your only option with that setup is a W-VHS machine. These record from component, but the media costs over $30/tape. These decks do not record 5.1 audio.

Yes, the JVC 30K will output non-HD tapes over the component video output.

There is plenty of documentation on these forums about the problems with the decks. Nobody has a clear answer. Some people experience serious problems, others do not not. It's pretty hit or miss.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is a W-VHS machine, and where can I purchase one? Do they work with regular VHS tape as well as W-VHS? Where can I find specs on one of them?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by uzun
What is a W-VHS machine, and where can I purchase one? Do they work with regular VHS tape as well as W-VHS? Where can I find specs on one of them?
Do a search in this forum.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
You shouldn't have to look any further than "$30/tape." How important is HD programming that you would pay $30 to record some movie and still not have 5.1 sound?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well bear in mind X that as much as you want to keep hammering on the tape cost of W-VHS, when it comes to simple timeshifting (something thousands would kill for alone.. not even worried about archiving) does it really matter much how much the tape costs? You just use them over anyway.

Yeah, admittedly no 5.1 capability sux (obviously for certain movies in particular) but there again, gobs of HD programming isnt in 5.1 anyway and even alot of it that is, doesnt really benefit from it regardless. Unless "8 Simple Rules" on ABC or basket weaving on HDNet does benefit from 5.1 and I dont realize it. ;)

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I guess if I'm spending that much on a deck and media I would want to be able to use it (cost-effectively) for both timeshifting and archiving. As far as timeshifting goes, how many times can you even re-record over a tape before you run into serious degradation problems?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well I dunno, I've taped over the same two 2 hour tapes a ton of times. And I'm not seeing a problem yet or I'd open up some other blanks I have.

I'm not saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread obviously. One has to decide for themselves. I've been immensely happy with my unit but then again I have alot invested in STB's that dont have Firewire out and I dont want to have to upgrade all 3 of them (each with different HD content I cant get without them). Even if Firewire units for each company were available, what would that cost me? Another $3K plus the cost of a DVHS deck?

This way, for a few hundred I can timeshift the likes of Discovery, HDNet, various movie channels, all the Networks including those I dont get OTA, etc. And hey, if it's programming that truly does benefit from 5.1 well, I can still always just watch it in real time if I feel the need.

But admittedly if someone gets everything there is to get OTA, plus is happy with any one provider like Dish Network, they might as well save the few hundred and just apply it to the 921 when it comes out. Or an HDTivo, whatever. But my original goal was to give myself the ability to see virtually all the content out there across all companies offerings and OTA. But once I did that theres become so many conflicts with programming that I needed a cost effective (as judged by my current STB's investment overall) way to timeshift alot of it.

As noted, archiving isnt appropriate for any number of reasons with one of these units but again for me personally, I've never been an archiver of any programming and I dont feel compelled to be with HD either. 95% of the movies I only care to see once or twice and with the way they're repeated on the movie channels theres no shortage of opportunities for that. Not to mention that if it's a movie I really wanted to see odds are good I saw it on DVD once already. To show you how much I care about owning" or archiving movies, I think I own about 15 of them (that I never really watch) even though of course I've rented hundreds of them over the years.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking that if a used/demo W-VHS player could be had for $200-$400 or so, I could use it as a normal VHS recorder, which featured component video out (which is better for my setup), and have the added bonus of recording off of HDTV when I wanted. And yes, I would just have one or 2 tapes to record onto that I would re-use.

It does not look like I can find a W-VHS recorder cheap though. Basically I want a JVC30k that can accept Component video in. Perhaps I should just look for a settop box that has DVI out. Does anyone know if the Scientific Atlanta 3250HD set top box can output to a JVC 30k, and then can I use the Component video out of the JVC30k to go into the television?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
The JVC cannot record from DVI. Your only option with the 30k is to find an STB with firewire. If the STB does not have firewire, you cannot record in HD. I am not very familiar with the SA-3250HD. I read a press release saying it would include firewire, but I'm not sure if there are any limitations to its use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.