AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 30+ year Pioneer speakers have been used for rear surrounds for many years. Due to an upgrade of my speakers, these are going to one of my sons.

Can the grills be removed? I've never removed them and am not sure how to approach this.

Thanks for any advice you may have. http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5885/pioneer4at.jpg

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Don't remove the grills; they look "cooler" with them on.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Some speaker grills were not meant to be removed - these speaker could be one of those type of speakers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli
Are those CS-99As??

Just curious...
You're close :)

They are CS-66 Pioneers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega
:D at some of the posts here

Leave them on. The "vintage" look goes well with those speakers.
Actually, I plan to leave them "on". Would like to remove them just for the purpose of vacuuming off the dust on the cloth behind the wooden slats.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Remembering several pairs of speakers I had from the old days, are there screws attaching the back panel to the speaker enclosure box? Several pairs of speakers I have had in the past required you to remove the rear panel, the speakers were usually mounted on a flat panel resting against the front cloth. They could be carefully removed through the back leaving only the enclosure box sans back for cleaning purposes. If this is the case with this model, be careful if there is any reflective or directive foam in the back of the speakers. Note how it is place and be sure to get it back in the same spot when you re-assemble them. On some speakers the back panel was not screwed on, but rather glued on. If this is the case, proceed at your own risk in prying it loose. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jm,

I believe you are right. The rear panels are attached to the cabinets with screws.

It's probably wise to "forgetaboutit" and let them remain dusty.

Thanks for the info,

·
Registered
67 Posts
I purchased a set of those same speakers in 1974! They are long since gone but they were identical to the ones in the picture. You remove the grills by pulling them from the front. They are held on with velcro spots on the back sides. Grab the grill at the pinch point of the lattice work at the topmost corners and pull! But be gentle with those vintage babys. Behind the grill you should also find a control knob to adjust the crossover circuit. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
to dust off i would just use a dry paint brush and gently brush off the dust and, of course, you would turn on a vacuum cleaner to suck off the flying dust

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Fast
I purchased a set of those same speakers in 1974! They are long since gone but they were identical to the ones in the picture. You remove the grills by pulling them from the front. They are held on with velcro spots on the back sides. Grab the grill at the pinch point of the lattice work at the topmost corners and pull! But be gentle with those vintage babys. Behind the grill you should also find a control knob to adjust the crossover circuit. Good luck!
Amazing what one can learn here.

Half Fast,

Your memory is better than mine :) Thanks much for the info. My son has already picked them up but next time I'm over there I'll try your suggestion.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I have a pair of CS-05's (the round ones) with these round end tables that fit over them (and protect them) but still allows sound through.

Here's what they look like (I found an online pic of them).
http://i19.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/b0/50/39_12_sb.JPG

:cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow, I had forgotten about those round ones. Oldschool you should make daveok an offer on those fronts and you'd have a bitchin' set up for your quad 8 track player. :D

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Fast
Wow, I had forgotten about those round ones. Oldschool you should make daveok an offer on those fronts and you'd have a bitchin' set up for your quad 8 track player. :D
I wish I had three or four more round ones (CS-05's) to make a 5.1 setup.

I wish my parents still had their early 70's Pioneer gear (especially the receiver & turntable).

:cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.