AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to hook up two small bookshelf speakers to my receiver. The speakers in the garage and the receiver in the living room. I want the garage speakers to be able to be on without having the living room surround sound on, and vice versa. Can this be done easily? What are my options? The receiver is a sony model# STR-DE445.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
You can't do that with that receiver. If you had the 545, you could. If you want to spend money on another amplification source with independent volume control (power amp + preamp combo, integrated amp, receiver), you may be able to do it with the video section's audio outputs.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
You'd still need another amplifier of some sort, and now you're splitting the signal between your living room's receiver and whatever else.

Your best bet is a receiver with an a/b zone setup. Then you could do exactly what you described in your first post.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis2 /forum/post/14295241

Is there any way that I can run it out of my DVD changer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/14295818

You'd still need another amplifier of some sort, and now you're splitting the signal between your living room's receiver and whatever else.

It would be OK to split the signal coming out of the DVD player with a pair of Y-adapters. Then, one connection to the current receiver, another to a volume-controllable amplification source elsewhere.

·
Registered
525 Posts
get another cheap 2ch receiver which can be had for $79 new or less for used obviously

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/14297918

Does the reciever have an A/B speaker switch?

No, it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/14297918

Or you could buy a speaker selector if it doesn't.

He could do that if he absolutely will never use both "zones" simultaneously. I doubt he wants to use an in-wall switch and all that it entails, though. There are standalone switches available very inexpensively.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:
He could do that if he absolutely will never use both "zones" simultaneously. I doubt he wants to use an in-wall switch and all that it entails, though. There are standalone switches available very inexpensively.

It was just an example, and I also figured that he would run the wires in the wall anyways, rather than have them on the floor all the way to the garage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts