AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to this & searching info. I'm setting up my htpc with 2 harddrives (i heard this is better). I want to put my os on the first drive WD 120GB, & use 2nd Hitachi 1tb strictly for recorded shows. How would I set this up? would I set the first drive as the primary, & the 2nd as the slave, & all the info automatically would get recorded on the 2nd drive or am I wrong. Also is the 120GB HDD enough space for OS?

Thank you

·
Registered
425 Posts
Primary and slave? Are you using PATA drives? Yea just setup the OS drive as the master and storage drive as the slave. And 120gb is more than enough, people are running 30gb SSDs for their OS.

With the two drives setup this way your OS should see two drives. Then change your storage for the recordings to the storage drive.

·
Registered
132 Posts
As long as your using SATA drives you really don't have to worry about "master" and "slave" settings. Like tlmaclennan said, install the OS on the smaller drive and then check the settings in whatever program your using to record video to save to the second larger hard drive.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
> Also is the 120GB HDD enough space for OS?

For Windows or Linux, that's probably 3 or 4 times what is needed.

> all the info automatically would get recorded on the 2nd drive or am I wrong

You're wrong. You have to tell the recording software (Media Center?) where to put the recordings. Almost all Windows software defaults to storage on the C: drive or on the same logical drive that the application program resides.

Try to put each hard drive on its own controller. If your mobo has 4 (or more) SATA ports, then there are probably 2 controllers. Play around with the BIOS for enabling/disabling SATA controllers. Disabling any SATA controller should make only 1 drive disappear. If both drives disappear, then that's the configuration you don't want. If you do not use adjacent SATA connector ports, then you will probably avoid putting both drives on the same controller.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z /forum/post/18290717

Try to put each hard drive on its own controller. If your mobo has 4 (or more) SATA ports, then there are probably 2 controllers.

If it's just 4, then somewhat unlikely. By the way, unlike PATA, I don't think there's much of a need to put SATA drives on different controllers, particularly when the additional controllers are usually crap.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would consider partitioning your 120g drive. C drive -> 30g and D driver -> everything else.

Then use the D driver to keep files and various items that you want to keep safe in the event that you need to reinstall windows (which lets face it, will happen at some point).

Then you can use E (1TB) for whatever else

·
Registered
200 Posts
120gb is plenty of space, assuming you are not installing tons of software and downloading tons of HD media.

1. Install windows: it will ask you which drive. Use the smaller drive.

2. After installation if the bigger 1tb drive is not showing, than you will need to open the disk configuration screen. right click my computer -> manage-Disk configuration. You should see your large disk being listed there with unallocated space. Right click and choose format or assign drive letter (can't remmebr which one) Choose NTFS as the file system and assign it a letter doesn't matter which (probably E

3. Configure Media Center and then go into recorder setings (setup -> recorder) and chabge the default drive to your new drive (e: probably). Max out the usable space if you wish, and you are good to go.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z /forum/post/18290717

Try to put each hard drive on its own controller. If your mobo has 4 (or more) SATA ports, then there are probably 2 controllers.

Most if not every new board with 6 or less SATA ports have the ports run right off the main chipset (Northbridge). There are no seperate controllers. Use any of the ports you want and don't worry aout it. Personally, I'd put the small drive on port 0 and the larger one on port 1, or port 1 and port 2 if they start at 1.

Peter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts