AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Marantz 7200 and a Panasonic RP91 DVD player. I have Paradigm speakers (towers, center, surrounds) and a 42" Panasonic Plasma. I use digital coax for the audio. I have a few questions:

1. When I view a movie, I have multiple selections (Pro Logic, Pro Logic II movie, Pro Logic II music, circle surround, etc.). Of those selections, DTS is one of them. However, with all the DVDs I have tried, none of them had any sound coming out when I selected DTS. Why?

2. Why is the audio louder on a cd in circle surround than a dvd on Pro Logic?

I have tried reading the manuals of both the Marantz and Panasonic and have found nothing. I have also tried searching here, but no luck yet either. Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

Scott

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
1) Go into your DVD movie menu and choose languages or audio....there you should find the choices you are looking for.

2) Check your DVD player setup menu and make sure that its configured properly.

As for question 2, ummm...becuz it is? Kinda rhetorical (?) isnt it?

·
Registered
780 Posts
How do you take advantage of DTS? Like you would would anything else. First, get it drunk, then...

Not all DVDs have a DTS soundtrack. If the DVD doesn't and you choose DTS, then you'd get nothing. In addition, you may need to go into your DVD player menu and make sure that you have it configured to pass a DTS signal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. If I understand correctly, DTS is available only when the DVD is recorded so, which does not always happen (debate of DTS v. Dolby, I think).

Thanks!

·
Registered
780 Posts
That's right. In addition, some DVD's have both Dolby Digital and DTS, so you may have to go into the DVD menu to select which one you want to use. For instance, Gladiator has both. I can choose DTS in the DVD menu, or I can use the DVD player remote and cycle through the various soundtracks by hitting the audio button.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.