AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Relatively new to this forum, so if this post is in the wrong area or irrelevant, please tell me what to do/ where to move it.
I have a Harman/Kardon Go=Play II speaker dock, and I think my one of speakers might be damaged. When playing it at higher volumes (not the highest, maybe 5 steps below), the speaker seems to make a sort of farting noise when there is some bass in the song. (also similar to the sound of wind recorded if youre filming video on a windy day). I don't think it did this before, at the same level of volume. If i turn the volume down a little bit lower, I can't hear this noise anymore, but I would really like to be able to use the dock at the higher volumes, since I use it outside. I have tried shaking it to see if there's a loose part, but I don't hear anything. It seems weird to me that only one speaker seems to make this sound, while the identical one right beside it sounds perfectly fine.

I can't post links atm, but the manual and specsheet for the dock can by found by searching "go play II manual" on google.
What should I do? Thanks in advance

(copied from spec sheet)
Key Specifications
■ Drivers: two Ridge and two Atlas transducers
■ Power: tweeters: 2 x 15 watts @ 1% THD;
woofers: 2 x 30 watts @ 1% THD
■ Frequency response: 40Hz – 20kHz
■ Signal-to-noise ratio: >85dB
■ Input sensitivity/impedance: 250mV/>10k ohms
■ Battery type: 8 x type D alkaline batteries
■ Power supply input voltage: 100 – 240V AC
■ Power supply output voltage: 18VDC @ 3.3A
■ Dimensions: 20" x 9" x 9-1/2"
(500mm x 230mm x 240mm)
■ Weight: 8.6 lb (3.9kg)

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Don't know where you put dock questions....don't think there is a particular section for those. Sounds like a damaged driver indeed. Have you taken a look at it for anything obvious like a tear/rip in the surround/cone? May need replacing, if that's even possible. If its still under warranty you might try that. These aren't the best types of units to get high spl's out of....

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sounds like what my Energy Classics did when one of the cones de-laminated due to long term over enthusiasm on my part. Can you get the grills off or somehow get a clear look at the cones?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's already past warranty unfortunately. The speakers are attached to the grills from the inside, I'm not confident I can open up the speakers to examine them without damaging anything further. Are there any other tests or things I can do to check?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've never seen one in person, but the grill might be open enough for you to get a good look by shining a bright flashlight into it. Or you can just take a screwdriver and disassemble it. It's already broken.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts