AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine this thread will be moved, but I'm not sure where it's best placed, so apologies for the moderators for making work for them.

I'm looking to acquire the best 60" TV I can get for a bit over $1K. Various Sharp Aquos sets are available refurbished on serious sale right now, but I can't figure out the differences between them, and none are listed on the Sharp website.

Sharp LC60E77UM, non-LED backlight, Superlucent LCD panel.

Sharp LC60E78UN, non-LED backlight, panel unclear.

Sharp LC60LE810UN, edge-lit LED, X-Gen LCD panel.

Sharp LC60LE820UN, edge-lit LED, X-Gen LCD panel.

- Is 78 better than 77, and why?

- Is 820 better than 810, and why?

- Between the 7x and the 8x0 series, presumably the 8x0 series is better, with the possible caveat of some flashlighting and clouding from the LED backlight, right?

Feedback appreciated!

·
Registered
19,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo /forum/post/20870635

I imagine this thread will be moved, but I'm not sure where it's best placed, so apologies for the moderators for making work for them.

I'm looking to acquire the best 60" TV I can get for a bit over $1K. Various Sharp Aquos sets are available refurbished on serious sale right now, but I can't figure out the differences between them, and none are listed on the Sharp website.

Sharp LC60E77UM, non-LED backlight, Superlucent LCD panel.

Sharp LC60E78UN, non-LED backlight, panel unclear.

Sharp LC60LE810UN, edge-lit LED, X-Gen LCD panel.

Sharp LC60LE820UN, edge-lit LED, X-Gen LCD panel.

- Is 78 better than 77, and why?

- Is 820 better than 810, and why?

- Between the 7x and the 8x0 series, presumably the 8x0 series is better, with the possible caveat of some flashlighting and clouding from the LED backlight, right?

Feedback appreciated!

Give Sharp Support a call and maybe they have a link to the specs on discontinued models. But a refurbished set? There's a reason why it was refurbed in the first place so you may want to see what kind of warranty there is first.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does refurbished seem like a bad idea? I figure there's a decent chance of getting a solid model, and 3-month warranty, doubled by my credit card, seems like a reasonable window to catch problems. That said, my first delivered TV had 20+ defective pixels, the good news is a return for full refund, including shipping, was no problem to arrange.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
There are owners threads in here for most of the models you listed...if you buy an edge-lit TV that's a refurb there is a REALLY good chance you're getting a display that was sent back due to poor screen uniformity.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
You can get a brand-new LC60LE632, 60" edge-lit 120hz Gen-X non-quatron panel with internet apps and built in WiFi for not too far north of your price point. Factory wty on new sets is 1 year, which you presumably could double with your credit card.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess that leaves me with the question half the newbies on the forum have, at a budget of 1K to about 1.4K, including possible sales, what 60" TVs should be on my radar? I gravitated toward Sharp because of price and the perception of quality, but I'll confess to struggling to get the colors to look natural (greens and blues in particular, not every river is Caribbean blue) on the model I'm returning due to 20-30 bad pixels. Still, I think with more fine-tuning I could be happy with a quattron that was a bit skewed in its colors.

·
Registered
19,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo
I guess that leaves me with the question half the newbies on the forum have, at a budget of 1K to about 1.4K, including possible sales, what 60" TVs should be on my radar? I gravitated toward Sharp because of price and the perception of quality, but I'll confess to struggling to get the colors to look natural (greens and blues in particular, not every river is Caribbean blue) on the model I'm returning due to 20-30 bad pixels. Still, I think with more fine-tuning I could be happy with a quattron that was a bit skewed in its colors.
By struggling with the colors I'm assuming that you used the basic color, tint, etc settings. What you should think about doing is calibrating your set either by yourself or have a professional do it. Some tv's have options beyond the basics that allow you to calibrate your set (ISF settings, etc). Most tv's nowadays can benefit greatly by calibrating beyond the default settings using the basic color, tint, etc.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been playing around with calibration based on info on this forum and elsewhere. I'm sure I could be reasonably happy with a quattron panel with lots of tweaking. So the main question is whether to try my luck with another refurbished one (first one had 20+ bad pixels, modest clouding, and minor flashlighting, I guess that doesn't bode well) or, if not, what to get instead. Are Sharp non-quattrons a big step down in brightness, black levels, etc?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Refurbished tv=a set that somebody else bought and returned. Somebody at the E-tailer turns on the returned set and if it lights up and makes noise they re-sell it with a 90 day warranty. You end up with a high model set that somebody else rejected with a 90 day warranty for about what you'd have paid for a new slightly lower end set with a 1 year warranty. When the defect that prompted the original return shows up you ship the set back and try again. The only winner in this scenario is the shipping company.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Huh. I always thought manufacturer-refurbished products got a pretty thorough inspection, and repair if needed, before they were sent back out the door. Possibly that's naive of me. Certainly my experience this time around (20+ defective pixels in the center of the screen, a fair bit of clouding) suggests it is naive.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
With refurb products YMMV. For example there have been cases where a mfg. like Denon or Onkyo may have gotten a bad run of components for a certain model AV receiver. Lots of them get returned, the problem component is identified and replaced with a good one, the item is resold as refurb and no problems ensue.

20 dead pixels in the middle of the screen didn't just happen during shipment of the set from the E-tailer to you, they were there before the set was shipped and should have been caught by whoever was checking out the sets prior to shipment. I don't know if your set was actually "refurbished" by Sharp or the E-tailer, or if the E-tailer didn't just claim the set was "factory refurbished" when in fact it wasn't. Your E-tailer may be perfectly above board and your set might just be a fluke that slipped through their system.

My point might be that given a certain price point that gives you a choice between a refurb "last-year's model" relatively high end model of a given size, with a skimpy warranty and a new lower model or a new high model one size smaller I'd go for the new one every time.

·
Registered
19,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo /forum/post/20877420

Huh. I always thought manufacturer-refurbished products got a pretty thorough inspection, and repair if needed, before they were sent back out the door. Possibly that's naive of me. Certainly my experience this time around (20+ defective pixels in the center of the screen, a fair bit of clouding) suggests it is naive.

Refurb products do (or should), go thru the QC verification process before being sold. However, if the components do pass QC, they could be at the limits of acceptability. Meaning that they fall within the acceptable range so are passable but if they're on either side of the range, they will probably fail again (or have the same similar issues that resulted in the return in the first place). My personal preference is not to buy any refrub items because there was something wrong with them in the first place. Others may have better luck but it's just not worth it to me, no matter how much money I may initially save. Again, if the deal sounds too good to be true.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.