AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in purchasing a projector in the near future and would like to find out if I or my friends would notice and/or be bothered by rainbow effect that is present in DLP projectors. It would be nice to see a unit in action at a store before purchasing one, but since it is unlikely to find one being demoed, and since there are DLP RPTVs out on the market, would they be an acceptable substitute to determine if someone can see these rainbows? If so, does anyone know of commonly viewable DLP RPTVs (such as at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc) that would be good to check out? I found Samsung units at Circuit City but I cannot seem to locate the color wheel speed for those units. If they are 2x units, then maybe they will be a good test???

Thanks,

John

·
Banned
539 Posts
If you think you might be suceptible to rainbows, guess what, you are going to be suceptible. It is a self fulfilling prophecy. Kind of like the wide receiver chanting a "don't drop this pass" as he runs down the field. You know what is going to happen. I'm glad I bought my X1 without worrying about this stuff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have seen the x1 and another DLP projector demoed at Nebraska Furniture Mart. I could not see rainbows on either of these. If I look at the Samsung DLP RPTV, its horrible though...go figure.

So even if you do see them on the RPTV, you maynot necessarily see them on a FPTV...the inverse may be true as well.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I figured I'd see rainbows, but I have only seen them when I wave my hand infront of the projected light, never on the screen. Also, I do not go looking for them. It's unlikely guests will ever notice rainbow if you don't mention it. I've had 5 people watch movies over here and none have seen rainbows, including myself.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If you are told what to look for on an exact scene for eg where rainbows can be noticed (ie a torch moving round in a dark room) you will see them.

This is the only time i find it noticeable (ie torch thing). I do seem them on the X1 now and then but not really noticable.

If you don't tell your guests what it is and what to look for they will not notice at all.

While as stated they don't bother (as rare as they do occur, dependent on scene) i wish that i never was told about them.

Once one is told about something and what to look for i think u will always pick it up.

D

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you are determined to check, go ahead and buy an X1 (confirm return policy) and try it out at home. You need to see it under your own viewing conditions, away from the noise, ambient lighting, etc.

As others have stated, I wouldn't search endlessly for them. If you see them immediately, then you may be one of those that really can't handle them. However, if you don't see them, then stop looking and decide if you want to keep the PJ. It's when you really start looking hard for them that you actually find them and regret doing so.

As far as RPTVs go, I wouldn't use that as a gauge.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by simmike
If you think you might be suceptible to rainbows, guess what, you are going to be suceptible. It is a self fulfilling prophecy.
Wrong! This notion that rainbows are basically due to some type of placebo effect is absolute kaka. The phenomenon has been two well documented to discount it in this manner. It is true that some who don't see rainbows in normal viewing can see them if they move their head quickly from side to side, or if they wave their hand in front of their face, etc. It also appears that some who are susceptible get used to them over time, and seem to have the capacity to ignore them after a while. It also appears that some are more susceptible than others. Finally, it might be fair to say that if you are the type of person who can see them, and you focus on them, you will probably not be able to get used to living with them. But the notion that some who really don't have the capacity to see rainbows will see them merely because they THINK they are susceptible is, at best, rank speculation without any basis in fact, and an attempt to discount a readily-observed issue associated with some DLP's.

P.S. John, you're right to try to view apotential projector before purchase to see if you're susceptible to various artifacts. You may be susceptible to none, or to some and not others. But be careful about accepting as dogma comments from projector owners who take personally the description of a phenomenon associated with a particular projector technology that they own (e.g., rainbows with DLP's, screendoor with LCD's). Their desire to defend what they own results in a fair amount of misinformation being spread.

P.P.S. As others have suggested, you might try getting an X-1 on trial. Try to veiw it for a few hours. I never knew what a rainbow was until after about 3 hours of viewing a high-end DLP, when I suddenly started to see these flashes of rainbow like color on certain high-contrast scenes. I thought at first it was something on the DVD. But once I saw them, I saw them very frequently, on almost every movie. On the other hand, a close friend could not see them at all no matter how hard he tried to see them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses. I am thinking about waiting on the new models to come out before purchasing a unit, though the X1 is very tempting with its price and it would be awesome to watch the Indiana Jones DVDs on a BIG screen. One of the features I'm interested in for a projector would be a DVI/DHCP input. I currently have a Sony 65HS10 RPTV which does not have such an input. My plan is to use the RPTV for everday viewing and break out the projector for DVD and HDTV movies and such.

Anyway, my friends often go to Best Buy and I'm sure I can talk them into looking at the Samsung units while they are there. I do not plan on telling them what to look for and see just find out how they respond to it. My preference for a projector is a DLP unit as from what I've read, the black levels are much better than whats available from an LCD (something I personally notice). Tell me if I'm wrong though, please.

Does anyone know the color wheel speed on the Samsung DLP RPTVs? Should I ask this question in the RPTV section instead?

Thanks again,

John

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Yes, LCD projectors do tend to have worst blacks. Also as mentioned by JDLIVE try seeing a black and white movie with a lot of fast action. If it does not bother you then nothing will. The hand trick is fun as a test, but let's be serious, I have yet to see a person watching a movie with a moving hand in front of them :)

As for the speed of the RPTV, yes I guess the RPTV forum is the best place. On the other hand, a FP is MUCH better, takes less space, is less heavy (future moves)

Also I don't know how true it is (i.e. is it true for everyone?) but I think I remember some threads from users who were bothered by RP rainbows much more then FP rainbows. (No idea why that would be)

·
Registered
467 Posts
IIRC, the Samsung units have 5x color wheels.

I would get an evaluation X1 and try it out for a while. Why watch an RPTV when that's not what you'll be buying?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info, I suspected it had to be high since I've found no "complaints" about rainbows anywhere on avsforum... Anyway, it all comes back to wanting to wait for the new models. I know that if I go buy an X1 from Best Buy or somebody, I will end up keeping it for more than a month and then kick myself later on for not returning it when the Next Best Thing comes out the following month. Know thyself is my motto. Then again, the NBT will always come out a month after I buy something, regardless. It sure would be nice to have something for the Indiana Jones DVD release, though.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
And when the next best thing comes out the following month. At least with the X1 even if u only keep it 1 year or 2 its very small $'s to "depreciate" on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.