AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to trying OTA HD. I have the Dish 6000 receiver but do NOT have the 8VSB tuner yet. I just bought the Zenith Silver Sensor UHF indoor antenna.

My question is: Is there a way to see if I'm capable of getting the DTV signals before I might waste my time ordering the 8VSB?

I have connected the antenna directly to my TV in the hopes of seeing "something".

My understanding is that I won't get any analog signals with this particuliar antenna because it is UHF only and specifically desined for DTV. Am I correct?

And BTW, an outdoor antenna is out of the question. I have done some research and this antenna seems to be the best indoor results.

TIA for any help.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Your profile doesn't list your location, so it's difficult to help you. Some areas have all of their TV stations in the UHF band and some have few commonly viewed stations on UHF.

No, you can't see the DTV stations without a DTV tuner, but if you have UHF analog stations that share transmission sites with UHF DTV stations, you may be able to discern what chance you have to get good DTV reception. And you can predict reception also by entering your address on the CHOOSE AN ANTENNA page at http://www.antennaweb.org.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
There is no such thing as a DTV antenna. Digital and Analog share the same frequency spectrum, often the same channel, so if you can get good to fair analog reception you should be able to get Digital. I say should because some of the digital stations are operating on AA battery power :) (not really...) and low power stations can prove to be exceptionally hard to get.

As Gary said www.antennaweb.org can be a good staring point, but it is by no means a definitive answer to your reception abilities. Post your location in the title of the thread and you are more likely to get responses from people living in your general area.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the reply fellas. I live in Newbury Park, CA (about 40 miles away from LA transmitters). I know that I'm really pushing it with an indoor antenna, but I've heard some great things about this particuliar one.

However, I think I'm SOL for testing it, since there are no UHF analog stations in LA.

·
Registered
135 Posts
From my home in San Diego, I can receive several analog UHF stations from LA with an antenna roughly equivalent to the Silver Sensor, but 30 ft. off the ground. I can get 18, 22, 28, 34, 40, 44, 46, 50, 52, 56, 58, 62, and 63 as I write this.

Have you turned on your TV, aimed the Silver Sensor at Mt. Wilson, and explored the UHF band?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jefe noche
Thank you for the reply fellas. I live in Newbury Park, CA (about 40 miles away from LA transmitters). I know that I'm really pushing it with an indoor antenna, but I've heard some great things about this particuliar one.

However, I think I'm SOL for testing it, since there are no UHF analog stations in LA.
If you have a relatively good line-of-sight to Mt. Wilson, you should be good to go. Some have reported good reception with indoor antennas from 100 miles for that particular antenna farm.

LA has lots of UHF analog stations. Anything with a channel number of 14-69 is UHF.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.