AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some electrical maintenence being done on my house today and I need to shut the power off. I don't have my manual handy. Is there a way to power down safely so not cause any hard drive corruption, or do I just turn it off and pull the plug?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
turn it off, wait a minute, unplug.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by adone36
*turn it off, wait a minute, unplug.
* stop any recording in progress

·
Registered
303 Posts
Does the replay give any indication if it is updating software, etc.? If it doesn't "power up" w/ any indicator lights or anything while going through a software update....I would imagine it would cause problems if you pulled the power while it was doing that. Although...it could suffer a power loss through no fault of your own...and I would think they would prepare for that.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
If you are really worried about disk activity, hold the power button in until

the fan stops spinning, then pull the plug.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Considering how "sensitive" these boxes are....and that I'm on my second one after having the first for only about 2 weeks....worries are valid. Mine actually started going into it's infinite reboot loop after I powered it down and hooked a UPS up to it. I think that was merely coincidental...but it would help to have answers to the questions I posed above.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you want to be totally safe the best way I have found is to first enter 243 then press the zones key on the remote. This will bring you into a hidden menu area. Using your arrow keys, move down to the empty box at the bottom of the screen. Once it is hilighted, press the select button to choose it. you will be shown an on screen keyboard. enter "ENABLE DISK SPINDOWN" in the box and press select. You should get a confirmation message saying "disk spindown enabled". Then exit from the menu. Power off the replay and listen. Within a minute you should hear a klunk and hear the drive spin down. Once this happens you can unplug without any fear of losing data. Once you are done unplugging and have it set back up again, you can go back in the same menu and type "DISABLE DISK SPINDOWN" to set the drive back to constantly running if desired. It's more steps, but I have never lost anything doing it this way.

Terry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.