AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have an energy take classic 5.1 system hooked up on a onkyo sr507. I want to upgrade to floor standing speakers instead of small satellites on the front. Or maybe even go 7.1 . What would be the best way to upgrade? Thank you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj75 /forum/post/0

Hello everyone. I have an energy take classic 5.1 system hooked up on a onkyo sr507. I want to upgrade to floor standing speakers instead of small satellites on the front. Or maybe even go 7.1 . What would be the best way to upgrade? Thank you.

Room is 12 wide 18 deep. I don't want to spend more than 1 k if possible. Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Do you like the sound of the Energy speakers you have? They do make some tower speakers in your price range (CF-70 or CF-50). I don't know if these are voiced the same as your classics. Maybe someone can chime in.

You don't have to stay with them, but I would recommend replacing the front three at the same time. If you do decide to move away from Energy I would go listen to as many brands as you have access to. Speakers are the one thing in a HT that really should be hand selected by the owner. Everyone hears differently and any suggestions should be listened to before buying. Bring yourown demo material and takes notes on the different speakers you audition.

·
Registered
190 Posts
With your budget you'd be better off going with a 5.1 package and upgrade to 7.1 later.

There's a Pioneer thread floating around with some great value speakers mentioned. You may be able to get away with ~$400 for floorstanders center and bookshelf surrounds.

From there you can pick up a decent sub for ~$300. Personally I would look at HSU.

As for a receiver, I have the HT160-RC. It suits your needs, has 7.1, you should be able to find it around $300. I hear the Denon's are good too.

That's how I would allocate the money.

edit: here's the link to the pioneer thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1278774

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You don't need floorstanders in a room that size. What I suggest is getting decent full sized bookshelves to replace the micros that you have now. You could go with 3 Infinity Primus P162 bookshelves up front and 2 P152 as surrounds and still have enough in the budget for a Hsu Research VTF-2 MK3 and monoprice.com cables.

Or stretch the budget $50 and use a PC250 dedicated center instead of one of the P162s.

Then I'd retask the Energies as bedroom speakers.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 /forum/post/19641229

With your budget you'd be better off going with a 5.1 package and upgrade to 7.1 later.

There's a Pioneer thread floating around with some great value speakers mentioned. You may be able to get away with ~$400 for floorstanders center and bookshelf surrounds.

From there you can pick up a decent sub for ~$300. Personally I would look at HSU.

As for a receiver, I have the HT160-RC. It suits your needs, has 7.1, you should be able to find it around $300. I hear the Denon's are good too.

That's how I would allocate the money.

edit: here's the link to the pioneer thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1278774

He already has the 5.1 classic and an Onkyo 507. He wants a new front setup and has a $1000 to spend. I was thinking at first to keep the Energy speakers and get a killer sub. The Energy speakers low end is too high to seamlessly blend with a sub.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/19641301

He already has the 5.1 classic and an Onkyo 507. He wants a new front setup and has a $1000 to spend. I was thinking at first to keep the Energy speakers and get a killer sub. The Energy speakers low end is too high to seamlessly blend with a sub.

Oops missed that.

Well I don't have much experience with subs but I have to recommend my SVS PB10-NSD. It's ~$400+ but it hits 20hz and the response curve is flat up to 100hz. The driver is kinda small but it's got enough power to rattle a 12' x 20' room. That should leave you with plenty leftover to get decent speakers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the suggestions. I would like to keep my Onkyo sr 507 avr if I can, do 5.1 for now and upgrade my avr later. Having this in mind, would bookshelf speakers the way to go? Can I keep my sub and just upgade the L/R front and center? Thank you.

·
Registered
19,800 Posts
Bookshelf speakers will work good, with a voiced match center.

If you can not afford a new sub now - then use what you have

and save up for a better one. Buy the best fronts that you can

afford.

·
Registered
19,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj75 /forum/post/19643583

What exactly is voiced matched? Sorry, newb here.

Center speaker should be same brand and model.

The speaker should mate with the left and right speaker. The sound

plane will be even from left to right and right to left. The dimensional

stage will be balanced. The best test for voice (timbre) matching is

with music - Use one brand for the left and right speakers and another

for the center, then play some music and see how they sound. In 20

years of doing this - I have not found a off brand and off model center

that mated with the left and right channels, some did come close as in

horseshoes - however, no ringer.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj75 /forum/post/19643583

What exactly is voiced matched? Sorry, newb here.

It means they are timbre matched, meaning they all have the same tonal characteristics. This is acheived by using the same drivers or as many as the same drivers as possible. The tweeter and midrange freq. are the most important so many manufactuers use the same tweet and a similar if not the same mid and woofer if it's a 3way for the center as they do the mains.

This is why most strive for a system that uses 3 identical speakers for the front stage....you can't get any closer than that and it's really the only way to be completely matched. Using a manufacturers "center" speaker for a line is alway a compromise and never as good as using an identical speaker to the mains, yet some are very close and aren't noticable to most.

The surrounds aren't as noticable if they don't match so many (including myself) swap out mains often but keep our trusty surrounds once we find a good set.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you like your Energy Take Classic set up, but would like to upgrade to some nicer, floor standing speakers, then this should be pretty easy for you. The obvious choice is the Energy RC line up, which is currently available at close out pricing.

You would be looking at either Energy RC-30 ($200 ea) or RC-50 ($300 ea) for floor standers, depending on how you allocate the rest of your budget. You could go with the RC-50 and then get an Energy RC-LCR off of eBay to around out your front 3, or you could go with the RC-30, a RC-mini CC center (approx $140-150) and a pair of RC-R ($140 ea) surrounds for a full 5.0 set up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.