AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an existing DISH customer interested in upgrading to HD now that I've upgraded to an HD television unit.

I could connect the DISH receiver (811) directly to the TV (HDMI or composite), but I *REALLY* want to go through my home-brew HTPC instead, which has a DViCO FusionHDTV3 Gold Q card. From there I plan to get a DVI to HDMI converter cable to get the PC's video to the TV.

But, on the other side, which combination of DISH receiver outputs and Fusion inputs will allow me to do this, if any? Or is everything so hopelessly locked down that going through a PC-based HD tuner will be impossible without downconverting to SD?

EDIT: I forgot when writing this that DVI (and composite) outputs are uncompressed, so I know there will be another MPEG-2 compression stage involved. Are there alternatives for people who want to be able to use an HTPC for HD DVR functionality with satellite service?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I don't believe you can pass the dish signal through your HD card with hopes of recording the signal - I believe QAM is for cable only not satellite. You might be able to do firewire recording from the dish receiver but you'd have to search for that. As for the DVI to HDMI, my Samsung 5663 didn't like that combo at all. I had lots of display problems when trying to do that. Not sure why but I went back to a standard DVI to DVI connection. Luckily my Samsung HDTV has VGA, DVI, and HDMI inputs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.