Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have gained a lot of knowledge lurking in this forum, and this is my first post. So please go easy...

I have a Denon 2803 which is replacing an 8 year old Yamaha RX-V480. I have Polk Audio RM5000 center, and front speakers - yes, I know I need to upgrade my speakers too :). The RM5000 came with a passive subwoofer. I am wondering if I could use my RX-V480 to power just the passive subwoofer. If so, how do I hook things up?

I would rather use not use speaker level to run my sub the old fashioned way. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I wil try an dsell the Yamaha, but till then, is there a way I can use the RXV480 is power just the sub?

What you are suggesting is the using speaker level input for the sub, which I will end up doing if I cannot use the Yamaha.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Most subs are 4 ohm and require a lot of current. I am not sure the Yamaha is up to that load and you could end up destroying the receiver. Better to sell it asap and buy a Hsu Research VTF-2 ($450) or a SVS 25-31Pci ($550).

Dsmith

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you wanted to here is how:

Wire the sub into the recivers left or right spekaer output.

Wire the LFE out on your new reciever to the CD IN on the Yamaha.

Select CD on the Yamaha, and there you go.

Use the Yamahas volume control to adjust the sub.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JRace,

Thanks for the wiring hint. I assume I need a Y-splitter to take the Sub pre-out (single RCA jack) from the 2803 into the CD in on the Yamaha. Is that correct?

The sub has a 6 ohm rating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did just that with my old yamaha rxv 695 and it was awesome. i wouldnt worry too much about dropping to 4 ohms, its old and if it somehow burns up over the next year do u really care? Mine worked for like 4 years like that, and it was fine. I do agree on the HSU sub though I would get a STF-2 instead of a VTF-2 its cheaper and sounds as good. its 399 on their web site, and beats most the subs at high end stores that cost 2 to 3 times as much.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If the sub requires Left/Right speaker input then you would use a splitter. If it only has one input, then hook that to the Left (or right) speaker output on the old rec, and use either the left or right cd input (depending on what spekare output you used)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.