AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is going to sound silly...

I'm getting some samples from Da-lite shortly, and I know that I will want to play around with them by attaching them to my current screen (Da-lite Matte White) and trying different test patterns - I have DVE Blu-ray to be able to help me with this, and I am not short on knowledge about calibration...

That said, how do I attach them to the screen without damaging it? I know the matte white screens are pretty tough, but the samples can't just dangle there.

Your help is sought, and is appreciated!

In case anyone asks, I'm wanting to introduce a little light into my HT viewing area - reading video game instructions in the dark sucks - and will be trying out Video Spectra 1.5 and High Power. The projector is an Optoma HD80 at 13.5' projecting a 92" image. Seating distance is around 8'.

I'm not sure about HP yet - hence the test - as the PJ is ceiling mounted, but is only around 7' up.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Do not attach them to the screen. This may damage the screen!

About the only thing samples are good for is to evaluate the relative gain (brightness) to other materials, and what the texture/surface of the material is like.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Get two bag clips (sold at supermarkets for keeping bags of potato chips etc. sealed after opening). Tie a string of appropriate length between each of the bag clips. Clip one of the bag clips onto the screen sample. Clip the other bag clip to the upper screen frame or roller housing. Repeat for additional samples.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg /forum/post/15562693

Do not attach them to the screen. This may damage the screen!

About the only thing samples are good for is to evaluate the relative gain (brightness) to other materials, and what the texture/surface of the material is like.

Nailed it! That is exactly what I'm testing for. I want something brighter than my Matte White screen, but I'm not sure how bright is too bright. There is only one store with projectors on display near me and they only use low gain screens in their display rooms.

Having read a lot of your work, how did you go about using the samples? It really looked like the samples were taped to the screen in your "high gain/exotic..." thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy /forum/post/15563152

Get two bag clips (sold at supermarkets for keeping bags of potato chips etc. sealed after opening). Tie a string of appropriate length between each of the bag clips. Clip one of the bag clips onto the screen sample. Clip the other bag clip to the upper screen frame or roller housing. Repeat for additional samples.

Thanks for the advice! Weird thing is that I have two light duty clamps sitting not 10' from where the screen is right now...

I figured that duct tape would be a bad idea...
Although, being a fan of Red Green AND Canadian I felt a certain urge to try it anyhow...

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
I talked to a Stewart rep about this. His recommendation was to use some painter's masking tape. But of course, be careful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts