AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to calibrate my Panny AE4000 on the NORMAL setting with the S&M disk.

The AE4000 has a built in Waveform Monitor. Can someone please explain in laymen term what this does and how to use it?

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce /forum/post/18197138

Just guessing, you may need a copy of the service manual for that.

Real nice reply...
The AE4000, as well as my AE2000 has an auto adjustment function which takes advantage of the waveform monitor. I believe the question was geared toward what image to use to allow the projector to perform that.

Are you an ISF calibrator just trying to keep the typical layman from doing your job himself???

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

With all the calibrators openly and freely sharing knowledge on this site, that is a funny thing to say.

regards

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/19177773

Greetings

With all the calibrators openly and freely sharing knowledge on this site, that is a funny thing to say.

regards

No offense intended. But considering the original question, the original reply seemed a bit brash. Back to the subject, what would the owner of an AE2000 or newer Panasonic use to allow the waveform to run the auto-adjustment, for anyone who may not have the appropriate light meter?

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danandsusant /forum/post/19177805

No offense intended. But considering the original question, the original reply seemed a bit brash. Back to the subject, what would the owner of an AE2000 or newer Panasonic use to allow the waveform to run the auto-adjustment, for anyone who may not have the appropriate light meter?

A lot of information is openly discussed here.

The suggestion that you may need the service manual is an open honest answer. Many ISF guys or THX guys don't necessarily know the way ever set or projector works. So if they run across something they haven't done yet the first thing they do is go get a service manual.

In regards to acquiring a service manual. Calibrators typically aren't any different John Q Public. Service manuals are typically available on the internet for any newer device.

If someone on here does know how to do it, I'm sure they'll share. But you'll definitely catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

·
Registered
195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotwell /forum/post/18196584

I have been trying to calibrate my Panny AE4000 on the NORMAL setting with the S&M disk.

The AE4000 has a built in Waveform Monitor. Can someone please explain in laymen term what this does and how to use it?

Forget about the Waveform Monitor. It's useless. Please see my post here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1276053

·
Registered
533 Posts
The waveform monitor has some uses, as discribing visually what levels you are inputing. It can set a very basic input adjustment automatically by using a 11 point scale.

This does set the levels within the capability of the device, but does not push the maximum from it. It does not balance the levels to D65, only set the clip points for black and white from what the player outputs/inputs.

So the monitor is another piece of information to act upon, not a defining calibration automation device.

Frankly a calibration DVD disk alone is not enough to do justice to this projector range. It will allow you to set brightness and possibly colour however only in modes where the primaries match the correct HD709 locations, otherwise you are balancing something else.

You do not need the service manual for this projector, all is in the user manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts