Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

this is my first post here. I've done lots of searching and research here and tried to look for my answer so please forgive me if this sort of thing has been covered before... So today i'm ordering the 50PHD8UK Panasonic plasma TV. Seems to be getting some great feedback. I will be hooking up 3 different sources to it: Upscaling DVD player, digital cable, and xbox 360. There are 3 inputs on the TV. Two slots where I will use DVI and the component slot will be for my DVD player. However, my question is about audio...

There are no digital audio outputs on this TV from what I can tell (somebody please correct me if i'm wrong), and my receiver only has one digital coax input and one digital optical input. So how do I run 3 digital audio sources? Do I need a new receiver? I was originally told to just run all of the sources into the TV and then use the TV's digital audio output to feed back to the receiver and just use that.... but it doesn't appear that this TV has that option. I have a 5.1 surround system. Let me know if I can make this work with my receiver or if I'll need to buy a new one. If I need to buy a new one, i'm not really in the market for an expensive one...

Lastly, what about this product?

(edit: can't post links since this is my first post :( but you can google these things)

It's a digital optical toslink switcher. Is this the answer to my problems? Anyone know if I can use a universal remote with it? Do these degrade quality?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm definitely a n00b at home theater stuff, but people tell me this is the best place to come for advice. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
if you already have a 5.1 surround system, you should be able to run the audio from your sources to the receiver and maintain the video connections as planned. not many entry level receivers with HDMI switching nowadays although this will change quickly next year but until then you can do with the inconvenience of separately switching video and audio

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
augh sorry i missed that in your original post.

I've not used a digital TOSLink switcher before so I can't comment on the SQ but i suppose its an option if you do not want to spend on a new receiver.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
most new receivers nowadays have at least 3 digital inputs (two optical and one coaxial) some even have HDMI switching

the Panasonic XR55 is reasonably priced, very good sounding and has 2 of each (coax and optical) digital inputs

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what about an audio only receiver? do they even make those? I'm going to be wiring all the video up to the TV directly and then putting audio through a receiver... can I get something that is cheaper and less bulky with no component inputs and outputs? I just want something to output to my 5 speakers and sub and accept 3 optical audio inputs!! This is impossible to find exactly what I need...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
what about an audio only receiver? do they even make those? I'm going to be wiring all the video up to the TV directly and then putting audio through a receiver... can I get something that is cheaper and less bulky with no component inputs and outputs? I just want something to output to my 5 speakers and sub and accept 3 optical audio inputs!! This is impossible to find exactly what I need...
I don't think there is much out there without the video connections. As for the panny being bulky... being a digital receiver it only weighs about 9 pounds, compaired to 20+ for analog receivers. It is a lot smaller than others as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.