AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic is not exactly what was intended for this area, but I didn't know where else I might put it. Moderators, please delete it with my blessings if you see fit.

With that said, can someone here shed some light as to how independent film makers can hope to make money? Do they shop their films to major film companies in hopes of getting some kind of distribution channels? And what then? That it might play in selected cities? On video?

Yep, one day before I die I'd love to do it. I just don't understand where you get an audience.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
As I am going through the process right now, I am learning just how hard it is to make any money. :) When it's all over, I'll be writing a big, fat article on it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
An aquantance of mine's first film (in which my fiance was a lead actor) premiered in 1996 or '97 and he's only recently broken even on the production with years of distribution on VHS. The film will be available on DVD later this year and he hopes to start turning a profit.

I intend to venture into the same territory myself...

Justin

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Justin:

How did he premire it? Self promotion?

Also, how is it distributed?

I used to be a guitar player in a regional rock band. You could cut your own records and sell them at your shows, but unless you had some kind of national distribution, you would only sell a few hundred at best. If you could somehow sell a quarter million units on your own, it would almost guarantee you a record deal with a major lable (ie - distribution channels). But you can't sell a quarter million records by selling them in nightclubs or local independent record shops.

I'm guessing the process for films is similar, but how and whom do you "shop" your film to in order to get it distributed?

Matt:

When you write this, please let us know here on AVS. Can you at least give us a few comments on what you're doing at this juncture?

·
Registered
133 Posts
TEW:

He premiered the film at The Neon Movies here in Dayton--this was back when the theater was worth patronizing. My understanding of how Andy got distribution is limited. I think Sub Rosa Studios distributes the movie on VHS. Not sure who is moving the DVD for him, but I know he's friends with some of the folks at Troma Studios. Maybe they're involved with that.

Unfortunately I've never really talked with Andy about how the whole thing went down because I've never been all that interested. But since I've decided I'm going to work on my own material. I will hopefully get to discuss it with him.

Best of luck with your projects!

Justin

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Currently we are in pre-production. A distributor has put up half the money needed for the film, but we need to find the other half and bring in a name actor. "Name" as in recognition for video sales.

I was hoping to direct my script, but a Hong Kong DP/director showed interest in the project and has come aboard and will both shoot and direct the film. I will be co-producing. We are looking at a below the line budget of 1.7 million. The film will be shot on HD, a format the director has used many times over the last two years (and won awards for).

This July and then again in September I am bringing my short film, OBSESSIONS; The Bryan Rearden Story", to festivals and hopefully can raise the needed funds to get the film off the ground for a late fall, early spring 2003 shoot. With a name director on board, things have been looking good, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt

I think this is very interesting and I look forward to reading your article.

How did you even manage to get to this point? I mean, you already have a distributor footing half the money for budgeted 1.7 million dollar project.

How did you get to this point? Do you have some previous background? Distributors who are willing to bank on your past merits?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I had a hell of a good agent. He was a furious negotiator and he did his job well. It helped that my script was good. I'm not tooting my own horn here, but it has received great notices and a distributor decided it was worth a go.

With a name attached as DP and director, things should move forward quickly (I hope).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.