AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I am a computer guy, not an AV expert, but I know my way around my equipment pretty well. I have a Linux server in my media center and was considering connecting an IR blaster to it so I can send commands to my equipment remotely (with some web scripts that I could access from an iPod). Yes yes, I know I could spend a little money and buy an RC remote, but that isn't as exciting :)

So my question is this. Is there a standard IR bursts used to control equipment, like Morris cord with defined patterns, or does each manufacture have its own timing? I do realize that every button on every device has its own code, but I am wondering if it will just be a matter of figuring out the code to send the IR blaster or if I will be getting into millisecond timing to try to reproduce the bursts.

·
Registered
15,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphbecker /forum/post/18270781

First, I am a computer guy, not an AV expert, but I know my way around my equipment pretty well. I have a Linux server in my media center and was considering connecting an IR blaster to it so I can send commands to my equipment remotely (with some web scripts that I could access from an iPod). Yes yes, I know I could spend a little money and buy an RC remote, but that isn't as exciting :)

So my question is this. Is there a standard IR bursts used to control equipment, like Morris cord with defined patterns, or does each manufacture have its own timing? I do realize that every button on every device has its own code, but I am wondering if it will just be a matter of figuring out the code to send the IR blaster or if I will be getting into millisecond timing to try to reproduce the bursts.
HERE's more than you probably ever wanted to know. And, yes, you will need to get into millisecond timing. However, other's have already figured most of this stuff out, so you don't have to start from scratch. I recommend you start with LIRC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts