AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since these two dinosaurs are going for $400-600 range on eBay. I am wondering how do they compare to new AVRs of $600-800 range? Assuming that one is happy with 5.1 and can live with having the TV to do HDMI switching.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I would think they would compare pretty well. They are not that old, are they? How old is the Z1? Six years?

If you want lossless from Blu-ray, which is hardly necessary, you could always run analog cables.

Room correction systems have supposedly gotten better over the last six years too.

Not much else has changed as far as I know. Maybe slightly better DACs in some receivers, maybe not. Of course, this depends on how much you believe in the sound from a pre amp or amp stage, and whether small tweaks to the components mean much.

The main reason to go with something like the Z1, IMO, is that it was a very powerful receiver. If you don't need all that power, or it's very flexible amps, you could look at something newer like the RX-V3800 (heavily discounted when you can find it.)

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
toffee, if you click the 05/07 link in my sig, you'll find some reviews of these units from people who came from pioneer 49's/59's (amoungst other avrs)... won't give you exactly what you are looking for, but will give you an idea of their impressions of a "modern" avr vs. an older flagship...

good luck! there are people who have gone both ways on this one... so it's not a cut and dried decision...

only 2 comments i would have are:

- imo, room correction has gotten a lot better over the years... ymmv...

- imo, a "modern" avr is a better choice for "most" users... for a myriad of reasons... but that's a personal choice, and you have to decide if the feature sets on today's avrs are important to you....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/16933496

toffee, if you click the 05/07 link in my sig, you'll find some reviews of these units from people who came from pioneer 49's/59's (amoungst other avrs)... won't give you exactly what you are looking for, but will give you an idea of their impressions of a "modern" avr vs. an older flagship...

good luck! there are people who have gone both ways on this one... so it's not a cut and dried decision...

only 2 comments i would have are:

- imo, room correction has gotten a lot better over the years... ymmv...

- imo, a "modern" avr is a better choice for "most" users... for a myriad of reasons... but that's a personal choice, and you have to decide if the feature sets on today's avrs are important to you....

You guys got a point, the modern 'near' flagship models, ie SC-05 or Yamaha RX-V3800 are selling around $700 range with the golden oldie going for perhaps $150-200 less but being oldies, no warranty etc., Going to a SC05 or RX-V3800 seems to be better choice.

On that note, SC-05 vs RX-V3800, any suggestions?

·
Banned
574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboo /forum/post/16938376

I had a Z1 at one time-very nice receiver. FYI, the Z1 doesnt have speaker setup software. You have to do it the old fashioned way-with an SPL meter.

Nothing wrong with doing it the old fashion way. The Z1 was a monster receiver. I would go into a local shop that had it setup w/ Kef Reference speakers and play around on it from time to time.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm one of those that went old school with a 59txi, av59dvi and pd-59 last year. I wanted to wait a couple of more years to learn more about all of this and to see what new features are on the horizon. Drawbacks are what have already been mentioned. Auto setup and eq are better now and of course, no warranty. But so far I'm very happy with this setup (i-Link is a wonderful thing) and don't see up-grading for a few years. A Pioneer 09 would sure be nice but very $$$.

In another room I'm using a 6 year old H/K 520, CDR-20 and 8380 cd player. Also have a DVD 5 but a new OPPO BD-83 has rendered it useless. But still a good player for what it is. I have no plans to replace the H/K stuff. Love that receiver.

But all the new features on the latest electronics make purchasing new equipment a better plan for most people. But nothing wrong with getting vintage stuff it it's your preference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts