AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm leaning towards a 1080p projector while 4k shakes itself out. I figure within 2-4 years, I'll upgrade to a 4k projector. I'll either mount up a Sony VPL-HW40ES with a CineVista anamorphic lens, the Epson 6030, or the Sony 55ES. These all have different ideal projection distances. So will the next projector.

So how does one create an ideal mounting system that allows for variabiity? There could be a 5 - 7 ft mounting variation in my 19 ft deep room.

What have other people done?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes a lot of sense since I need a hard substrate for the mount to screw into. But what about the cable? Do I just spool up a length of cable to allow flexibility? Same with power cord?

I guess there's not easy/practical way to have some sort of slide that moves back and forth as one unit and still maintain sound isolation.

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
I ran 2 inch pvc from my projector to my rack and put a black plate over it since no wires are in there yet. I thought that was a good idea to future proof the room. Mike

·
Registered
549 Posts
I built a projector box, its about 13" tall by 22" deep, by 36" wide, its a bit over-sized but wanted to make sure air could circulate inside some. From what I have seen it can fit just about any projector (consumer projector anyways). Inside the box I have a power outlet that runs to my media closet where ill have a UPS, a PVC pipe for any future cable runs, as well as a 6" duct with a Fantec 6XL fan on the other end sucking out all the hot air from the box. This makes it easy as you don't have to worry about mounting a projector, and makes taking it in and out and aligning it super easy as well :) Of course it really depends on your ceiling height and aesthetics that you want in the room. I think it looks cleaner though then having a projector just hanging there.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I built a projector box, its about 13" tall by 22" deep, by 36" wide, its a bit over-sized but wanted to make sure air could circulate inside some. From what I have seen it can fit just about any projector (consumer projector anyways). Inside the box I have a power outlet that runs to my media closet where ill have a UPS, a PVC pipe for any future cable runs, as well as a 6" duct with a Fantec 6XL fan on the other end sucking out all the hot air from the box. This makes it easy as you don't have to worry about mounting a projector, and makes taking it in and out and aligning it super easy as well :) Of course it really depends on your ceiling height and aesthetics that you want in the room. I think it looks cleaner though then having a projector just hanging there.
I completely agree with running PVC or some kind of large size "conduit" to make it easier to add or subtract or replace cables. Something big enough to run HDMI connectors and perhaps a little bigger to account for future products that might come in wider or larger sizes.

If possible, try to have some flexibility with how you align the venting.. some projectors suck from the front and blow out the back and others are reverse (my panny 7000 has the intake in the rear).

I plan to to my first layer in OSB as BIG suggested above (actually he said plywood.. but close enough).

·
Registered
549 Posts
I completely agree with running PVC or some kind of large size "conduit" to make it easier to add or subtract or replace cables. Something big enough to run HDMI connectors and perhaps a little bigger to account for future products that might come in wider or larger sizes.

If possible, try to have some flexibility with how you align the venting.. some projectors suck from the front and blow out the back and others are reverse (my panny 7000 has the intake in the rear).

I plan to to my first layer in OSB as BIG suggested above (actually he said plywood.. but close enough).
Yeah, it seems most projectors I have seen vent out front. So I put my vent with the suction fan towards the front middle so it will suck up the hot air. I debated about putting a hole in the bottom back of the box to allow sucking in cooler air from the room. But I am going to see how it works with the projector first, can always add more vents later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts